You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: High School Experiences
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:32 pm 

I'm in Grade 8 and go to school in Ontario and have a peanut and nut allergy. I have had good experiences in my Elemantry school years but next year I'm going to High school and I was just wongering if anyone had any advise for people going to high school with these allergies:?: Lauren

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:58 pm 

Hi Lauren,

I don't have personal experience dealing with allergies and high school. Mine developed after I graduated, and my son with an insect allergy is still in elementary. So, I don't really have any advice for you -- but I have some questions.

Do your friends know about your allergies? your epi-pens? where/when/how to use them? (Doubtful 13 and 14 year olds would be expected to give it, but they could tell a teacher where it is.)

Do you have your epi-pen with you at all times? Leaving it in your locker is just not good enough. There are a lot of epi-pen carriers available - and you might be able to make a deal to earn the money for one if your parents don't want to buy it. I just ordered one for myself yesterday - it can be worn on a belt, belt-loop, or clipped to a back-pack. Definitely better then needing to dig through your back-pack in an emergency.

Will you be bringing your lunch, or do you plan to eat in the cafeteria? If bringing your own, you probably know all the rules already (cover the table, etc.) If you are planning to eat in the cafeteria, make arrangements (with your parents) to go in and speak to the people that work there -- get a tour. Ask lots of questions, look not just at the menu but where things are prepared, and served. Think about whether there's risk of cross-contam. If they don't make you feel *warm and fuzzy* just bring your own food.

Other advice: study hard, learn lots, and have fun. Join some clubs. And good luck - with high school, and with everything to do with the allergies too. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:13 pm 

Hi Lauren,

My daughter is in grade 10. We're still trying to figure out what she's allergic to, but this is what she does: she carries her epi-pen in a purse, she never eats the cafeteria food except occasionnally the pizza that is ordered in everyday from Pizza Pizza, she lets her friends and her teachers know about her allergy, she wears her Medic-Alert bracelet and she carries a cell phone. The food sold in the cafeteria does not contain peanuts or nuts as primary ingredients, which is a good thing, but they do not guarantee that it is peanut/nut free.

As you may know, the kids in high school are allowed to bring peanut butter and other allergens, so of course she never shares, but this is all basic stuff you already know, I'm sure. So just keep doing what you're doing, and make sure your friends know about your allergies.

You might want to buy this month's Allergic Living magazine as it contains an interview with high school aged students.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:30 pm 

Dear Lauren,
I' m in highschool this year and I'm anaphylactic to treenuts and shellfish (and being tested for O.A.S). It's my first year and the second week of school I got an EpiPen. I carry it EVERYWHERE with me!!! I even carry it going to the bathroom. People think I'm crazy but, it's just safety for me. I bring it while I'm running for cross-country too! Keep an EpiPen in the front office and keep two with you at all times!!! I eat in the cafeteria but I'm super careful!! I always ask what's in each thing and I haven't tried the baked goods I'm a little nervous about trying them!!! But, a good idea could also be to bring a lunch from home!! And make sure if you're taking a course like Family Studies tell your teachers your allergies!!!!!!
Good luck,
Monique

Last edited by niquez_08 on Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:21 pm 

Hi Everyone....I'd just like to say thank you for your sujestions and also for the ones still coming. I'd like to say that I do have an epipen in every place possible: the office in my school has one, I have one and if we go one any school trips, my teacher has one. Also, my friends are so amazing with my peanut allergy! My whole class is! They've been so used to me having this allergy ever since I came to the school. They always ask if i can eat the food they bring for snack too! So, my school is really safe and really good about my allergy. My only consern is that it wont be like this in High School! Lauren

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:38 pm 

Dear Lauren,
Highschool isn't as safe as elementary school but, you're not alone!! There are many students that go through the same thing!! Usually, the cafeteria will have peanut free products but still be careful!! As long as you're with the right people and you're safe you'll should be fine!!! But, don't be scared about it!!
- Monique

Post subject: HIGH SCHOOL
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:40 pm 

HI lauren,My name is aleshia and i recently read your post about going to highschool :shock: It is not as bad as you think it is going to be. i am in my second year of highschool (grd. 11)and i am doing just fine .I have a severe peanut and nut allergy but i cope with this by wearing gloves :x They are irritating but i do it because it is for the best. i dont know what the high school you are going to is like but at my school you have to share a locker. For somebody with a life threatning allergy this can be scary but ofr me it isnt because i have a best friend that i can trust. i think that if you have an understandig group of friends or friend you are going to be able to survive. I know that if anybody comes near me with anything harmful they are going tell them to go away and why!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:13 pm 

Hi Aleshia

Do you wear gloves all the time, or just where food is around? (Just curious)

I'm glad you were able to chose who to share a locker with, and that you have someone you can trust. If that ever changes, I'd be in fighting with the principal that I needed my own locker.