You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:40 am 

Following some of the great suggestions and examples on this forum, I wanted to get my sons (twins in grade 1) involved in educating their classmates about anaphylaxis. They were both feeling a little bit shy about giving a presentation, so we made a book together for their teacher to read to their class. We called it "Calling all Super Friends".
We explained that kids with severe allergies need to be super careful, super prepared (wearing their epi pens) and super brave (explained how scary it can be to be around foods that can harm you). Then we asked for the kids to be "super friends" to allergic children and wrote about handwashing, getting help if there's an emergency etc.
We used pictures of our boys dressed as super heroes (they were very much inspired by Epi Man and Epi Man Jr :D ) and pictures of Batman's utility belt, the Super Friends etc.
The guys were really happy and proud about their book. And I've asked to come in to school on the day when they have their allergy talk to see exactly what is covered and how it goes over.

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:06 pm 

That's awesome!! :) And very clever.

Are you up to lending your book for others to use? I have to present to my youngest's kindergarten class soon and that would be cool to use.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:11 pm 

How creative! Maybe this is your calling? Publishing a book to aid teachers and allergic kids educate classmates!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:54 am 

Well, as the book is I would be in major copyright trouble (all the borrowed super hero pics :wink: ), plus it's really just a quick little project cobbled together hastily on photoshop, but this has got me thinking. None of the existing allergy picture books that we've come across really appeal to my sons. Even at the tender age of six they're already deciding what's "cool" and what's not...as in superheroes are cool, cute little elephants are not.
I have a friend who is a comic book artist, and I spoke to him last night about maybe collaborating on something based around this "super" theme. So we'll see...
I'd welcome any suggestions about what should be included (specifically what info classmates of an anaphylactic kid should know).

And Karen, I'm sure the boys would love to share their book. I'm not sure how helpful it will be (maybe too case specific), but it might serve for some inspiration for your son?
The file is on my husbands computer, and he is away on business right now, but when I'm in touch with him I'll get him to send it along.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:47 pm 

:idea: Hmmm, I foresee a creative collaborating project between you and Karen, with the little Epi-men as the superheroes of the story, or maybe not just a story but a whole series of adventures with different situations and allergens, illustrated by your friend, maybe even a comic strip.

The kids would find it very, very cool, I'm sure.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:02 pm 

We presented our story today, and it was a smash hit! One of my sons in particular was nervous about doing it, but when we showed the first superhero pic one of his friends shouted "COOL!", and all his nerves seemed to melt away. They both read and answered questions confidently, which is a big deal for us, because both also have dysfluency issues. I was so proud.
The kids seemed to really embrace the concept of being a "superfriend", and helping to keep each other safe. The principal and vice principal were there too, asking lots of questions, and they and the teachers all expressed their commitment to working with our family to keep my sons safe :D .
We have another meeting with the school on Thursday, after our next allergist appointment on Wednesday to discuss his and our concerns and recommendations. Needless to say, I am feeling really positive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:14 pm 
Site Admin

That's wonderful! :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:52 pm 

Wow, that sounds like so much fun! I bet your boys are so proud of themselves...and you of them! Epi Man and Epi Man Jr - what an inspiration. . . I think another caped hero might have to visit a Victoria classroom soon... :wink:
Caroline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:53 pm 

Twinmom, I'm soooo glad that things turned out so well! How empowering for you and your guys!! :)

And Caroline2 - You might have your own super hero in mind, but if you ever want to create a BC version of Epi-Man, please go ahead. Instructions to make the costume are at

http://www.epi-man.com/EpiManCostumeEn.htm

Just make sure you take pictures and send them to me! :)

Epi-Mom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:44 pm 

Isn't it amazing what a "COOL" shouted out in class can mean to a little guy!

I love your idea. If there's a way, I'd love to see your book as well. Something my little guy could work on for school next year.

You parents who come up with such creative ways, totally inspire me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:36 pm 

Quote:
Hmmm, I foresee a creative collaborating project between you and Karen, with the little Epi-men as the superheroes of the story, or maybe not just a story but a whole series of adventures with different situations and allergens, illustrated by your friend, maybe even a comic strip.

Funny you guys should mention this - a colleague of mine is also a graphic artist, and has drawn his own version of Epi-Man. I'll scan and post it when I get a chance. I've been talking to him about writing a comic book!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:08 am 

That would be cool!!

Maybe even a cartoon! A good friend of mine, whose daughter is peanut/nut allergic, is a cartoonist. He has worked on countless cartoons. Imagine having an Epi-Man cartoon video to show to classes? The kids would gobble it up!

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:49 pm 

See http://www.epi-man.com/comic/EpiManComic01.htm for some drawings by my graphic artist friend. More to come soon.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:17 pm 

My guys give the Epi man sketch 2 thumbs up! Would love to see more.