You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:02 am 

This is a letter from my youngest daughter's school and to me it sums up what a school's attitude towards food should be. Some people find our principal hard-nosed but I say Kudos to her! She's tough and she asks parents to be tough as well:

LUNCHES, FAST FOOD, BAKING, PARTIES …………
GETTING READY FOR SEPTEMBER!

We have confirmed our registration as a LIVING SCHOOL and we have attempted to orient our community throughout the 2005-2006 school year. In the interest of our Anaphylactic Students, the Daily Physical Activity mandate, Board procedures and Ministry expectations, we want to be a school that represents healthy, responsible eating.

Next year, 2006-2007, is our IMPLEMENTATION year and we want you to know well in advance that we are requesting that you help us out with the following:
• LUNCHES: Please make lunch with your children at home the day before or in the
morning. If lunch is to be delivered, please ensure it is at school before 11:00 a.m.

Lunches delivered at or after 11:20 a.m., will be eaten at the office.
• FAST FOOD lunches are not permitted. Please feel free to take your children out of school for lunch for these special treats.
• BAKED GOOD AND FOOD CELEBRATIONS: If needed, treats will be provided by
school staff and/or the Pizza/Snack Club teams. We will not accept any baked/bought
goods at any time during the school day… there will be no exceptions.
• BIRTHDAY CELEBRATIONS, TEACHER RETIREMENTS, BABY SHOWERS,
CLASSROOM PARTIES: Alternative, non-edible treats are welcome. School staff and/or
administration may be consulted if need be … no surprises, please!

We appreciate and value your time. Please ensure that you are ready to support these new procedures as of September 5, 2006.

PLEASE help us follow our Ministry/Board mandates … help us teach your children to make good food choices, to be fit and to practice moderation in specialty foods!

THANK YOU to all parents who have supported us throughout this year … we look forward to everyone else being on board next year! TOGETHER, WE CAN DO THIS!

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:16 am 

Awesome!!!

I have to ask...is it a public school...or is it a private school?

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:00 pm 

It's actually a separate school, so it is public. It's a new school for my daughter, so I wasn't aware of this policy.

I'm not sure what they mean by Living School. I'll look that up and post more info if I find it.

Last edited by Nicole on Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:08 pm 

Here is what the Living School initiative is all about:

Living School Initiative

The Living School Initiative is a groundbreaking initiative that brings together entire communities– students, parents, teachers, administrators, boards of education, public health, sport and recreation organizations, community coalitions, local businesses, and municipal governments – to work together to support and enhance active, healthy living for children and youth.

For more info, go to:

http://www.livingschool.ca/Ophea/Living ... /index.cfm

I like the way our school tied it in with protecting anaphylactic children. It's perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:57 pm 

I really like the philosophy behind it! It's great that your principal went that extra step to include anaphylactic students in her letter to parents - really encouraging!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:18 pm 

Wow - that is a really caring policy! And I, too, love the philosophy of Living Schools. What a proactive community -- they really get it. And your whole villiage is taking part in raising the kids. Wonderful!
Caroline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:50 pm 

The living schools ideas are pretty much what I previously thought all schools were all about. Then by talking to a few teachers, parents and kids in my area about their schools came to soon realize that the schools here were NOT LIKE THAT AT ALL. For me, I was completely dumbfounded that my local schools promoted junk food, mc donalds, and excluded those who were not able to consume it due to health reasons like allergies/diabeties etc. Another school in my city actually rewards kindergarten kids with junk food EVERY FRIDAY if they have not misbehaved all week, and the kids who misbehaved get none...and watch the "good kids" eat theirs :roll: . And then there is the local school with parents celebrating peanuts are allowed in, even thought their is an allergic child, just so they can "send in a wider variety of baking".

It is nice to see that some schools are starting to "get it". it seems all of us on this forum seem to get that junk food in class while kids are excluded is rediculous. Its nice to see schools "getting it" too!!! :D

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:25 pm 

saskmommyof2 wrote:
Another school in my city actually rewards kindergarten kids with junk food EVERY FRIDAY if they have not misbehaved all week, and the kids who misbehaved get none...and watch the "good kids" eat theirs

The only comment I have about this is : :shock: :shock: :shock: