You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:34 pm 

Hello --

The struggles with my son's school continues, but today I found out something that almost brings me relief: a new child came into my son's class and she is anaphylactic to eggs.

Now I hate that I feel this relief, for I know that living with allergies is difficult and I really wish that no one had to deal with them. I also really hope that their experiences with the school are better than mine have been, and that the 'protocols' that I have struggled to set up with the staff are easily implimented with this family.

I do feel, however, that now there is more than one family that is dealing with allergies in the classroom that perhaps, just maybe, there will be a big of strength in numbers. The principal has not spoken with me since she, err, slipped and sent me a hurtful email (and I certainly haven't run to her for any support -- I infact feel ill when I think about the whole thing) but hopefully that doesn't taint this family's treatment with allergies in the classroom.

Now I am off to learn about anaphylactic egg allergies. I hope to meet up with the mum soon (my son said she was in the classroom today explaining the allergy. How I know that drill!!)

Caroline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:03 pm 

I can tell you one thing, Caroline - your presence and advocacy attempts alone will make this family feel a whole lot better from the get-go. I think it will also make them feel really good to know that someone wants to actually learn about severe egg allergies!

Just in case you're interested, you can get some info from http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fss ... oeue.shtml .

Another site I like is http://users.bigpond.net.au/allergydiet ... a/egg.html .

And there is a bit of info at http://www.foodallergy.org/allergens/egg.html .

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

Strength in numbers!
I'm sure the other students parents are relieved to know that they too are not alone.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:43 am 

Don't feel guilty for feeling relief. It's not like you are wishing it on anyone. There are lots of people out there with allergies and there's nothing wrong with being glad to have one near you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:56 pm 

It turns out that the new student is also allergic to latex, and there are a lot of issues with that at school (erasers, balls, balloons, gloves, etc...). I am still waiting to hear back from the mum, but I am sure we will have a number of things in common....namely living with allergies.

OH! The class was also informed of this child's allergies with the new and improved template letter that was revamped by the school district, health authority, the parent group and THIS FORUM! It is empowering to see that the changes we have requested are now part of policy.

Caroline