You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:15 am 

My sons, who are in grade 2 this year, each have a locker to share with another student. Lunches and snacks are stored in this locker. The school is peanut/nut free and a reminder note has gone home to all the parents asking them to refrain from sending in any products containing eggs as well.

But I'm still a little worried about the idea of someone else's lunch, snacks, empty containers or wrappers being so near my son and his stuff, under the care of 7 year old kids. DH isn't too worried, as long as proper hand washing procedures etc. are in place (which they are). I'm not so sure?

Does anyone else have experience with kids this young sharing a locker? Or thoughts on whether this seems safe?

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:27 am 

do they share lockers with the same child all the time? i know when i was in grade school you were assigned your locker buddy for the year (so that if you chsoe your best friend and you stopped talking to her part way through the year there could be no switching around) cause if it's like that you could always speak to the child's parent about your concerns.

i know that i don't have allergies but the worst that ever happened to me and my locker buddy was that we got the same winter boots and one day she took one of her boots and one mine, and i had the bigger feet so i couldn't go out for recess that day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:48 pm 

It's funny that you mention -- I was thinking this very thing when I went with my son for his school orientation. He has ended up having his own cubby, but I think I would have requested it if he wasn't automatically given one. I can't see it being too much trouble and you have a valid concern. Even if the risk is minute, why not get them to change it over and at least give you some peace of mind about it. Even with "allergy-aware" rules in place about food -- mistakes happen. Better safe than sorry. I just noticed that your sons are in grade 2 -- I think it's appropriate to get their input on this one and explain your feelings about it too. Might not be a big deal for them to change over to an individual locker if they know your reasons why / feelings about it?

Last edited by ethansmom on Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:08 pm 

I had never heard of kids that young sharing lockers...but the idea of an allergic child sharing a locker with another child does freak me out...especially since it's a storage area for food. Could you request that they share a locker with each other? That way no worries.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:12 am 

They are in different classrooms at opposite ends of the grade 2 hallway, so sharing with each other would be too inconvenient for them. But otherwise it would be a great solution, Saskmommyof...almost 3 :).

I took Ethansmom's suggestion, and asked them, and neither wants to switch lockers or do anything differently than they already are, no way, no how! They are just reaching the age of starting to be sensitive about the differences that allergy creates, between them and their peers...and they just want to be and do the same as their friends wherever possible.

There are 2 shelves in each locker, and I spoke to them about always keeping their things on the top shelf, and having their locker buddies always use the bottom. Unfortunately this means that in the winter all of their dirty wet snow pants etc. will be all crumpled up with everything else, because only the bottom has hooks...but I think it's the best solution. I'm tempted to sneak in there every once in awhile and Lysol-wipe down the lockers (handles, shelves etc.). But again, is this appropriately cautious, or crazy-mom overprotective? I can predict that I'm going to have a very hard time finding that balance in the years to come!?

And poor Dustytiger with the no boots thing. A similar thing happened to me when I was a kid, except I hopped out to the play ground on one foot (I had one of my own shoes left), and demanded my shoe back!

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema