Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Advice Please
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:57 pm 

Hi!
We seem to be getting good support from our school administration & my son's teacher. I would like some advice when dealing with the parents of my son's classmates. There seems to be a lot of resistance & complaining on the part of some parents. My son has multiple severe food allergies & has had contact reactions to his allergens. There have been a few incidents in which I have come home & cried.
1) There was a parent who complained about my son's allergies & food restrictions at the parent council meeting for half an hour. She didn't know how she was going to meet her daughter's dietary needs? My son is on this diet permanently not just for 3 hours at Kindergarten & his dietician says that he is meeting all dietary needs. By the way, she decided that it was a good idea to send candies with her daughter on the school bus to help her make friends. Fortunately, my son is not on the same school bus. Unfortunately the administration was away at that parent council meeting.
2) A parent was complaining about my son's allergies to the clerk at the grocery store. She even complained about the thank-you note I sent at Halloween with a pencil & eraser. I had spoken with our allergy advocacy group previously & we both thought it was a great idea.
3) A parent told me stories about a supposed student in Alberta that she knows who needed their epi-pen 14 times in 1 school year.

Is this normal? Am I dealing with a particularly difficult group of parents? Parent 1 & 2 did not know I was the mom of the allergic child & they were so angry that I decided it was in my son's best interest not to say anything. Mom #3 did know that my son is severely allergic. The situation is more complicated by the fact that my husband will be teaching my son, his classmates & have to deal with all of these parents in the future. I am trying to take the route of education & thanking people for things. In these incidents, it takes everything I've got to keep it together. Things probably will get more difficult next year when he goes into grade 1. Help! Does anyone have any advice for me?

DD 4 YRS (asthma)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

I am glad that you have the support of the school. Bill 232 was recently passed giving Manitoba public school students this ensures that schools have policies regarding anaphylaxis.

I would encourage you to be active in the parent council and support the school in developing their policies. They are new to this so your assistance will be a great help. Regarding other parents who do not understand, I would accept thatthey are ignorant and are reacting out of fear. Be a gentle resource to them.

Help them to learn, if they ask or make comments in your presence, what the issues are and ask them to support the school by following the policies. Don't take their anger personally, ignore it and address the issue at hand.

It is not an easy road, know that you can choose your battles.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb