You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: University class rooms!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:08 pm 

I just wanted to rant about university lecture halls. I came in to me three hour lecture tonight, and someone a row down from me pulls out peanut butter from his bag. But not like, a table spoon or two - a giant, full sized tub of peanut butter, and starts eating it with a spoon.

Now I am not allergic to just inhaling peanuts, but really? In this day and age with so many people having peanut allergies, it seems a bit ridiculous to bring something as obviously peanutty as a TUB of the stuff. I can understand people bring granola bars, where the last ingredient is peanut flour - but peanut butter in all its glory?

How does everyone deal with people eating nuts (or whatever their allergen is) around them in a confined space? While I won't get anaphylaxis to it - it certainly does freak me out and I get all panicky and anxious. Not fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:27 pm 

Wow! Finally someone who has gone through the same thing. I absolutely HATE it, especially because people are so aware of peanut allergies, if no other allergies. I have had people bring little containers of peanut butter to spread on bagels, obviously granola bars which aren't as smelly, peanut M&M's, and often big bags of almonds, which I'm also allergic to. What sucks the most is that a lot of these people are really messy eaters so their food is flying all over the place which makes me nervous if I'm sitting next to them. The smell makes me nervous too so I usually look the opposite way to take full breaths and then exhale the other way. Weird but makes me feel more comfortable. I wish peanut bans could exist at all levels of school. Just because we're older, doesn't mean we have more control over what other people at school bring, we're just able to leave the class if we really want to!
Soooooo glad I'm not the only one who has experienced this...been waiting to find someone who knows what it feels like :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:57 pm 

Ok no I completely understand that whole breathe one way, exhale the other! I definitely thought I was the only one who did it :D

I hate having people eating in lectures, whether it is peanuts or otherwise, because it makes me look around constantly to see who is eating what. To be honest, if people are eating peanut butter sandwiches or granola bars in the seat next to me (and I don't notice in time to say please don't) I end up leaving some times... It isn't worth it to me to stay for the information vs. peace of mind. I usually end up getting so freaked out that I just book it for the door and breathe in sweet sweet outdoors air!

I know I shouldn't let me allergy get the better of me - but really, there are very few profs that are interesting enough to sit through wondering if you will die or not :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:14 am 

I know, and it sucks to have to choose between your education and your...life? lol. I don't like asking people not to eat things because I never know how they will react. Will they take offense or will they understand? I feel bad to impose myself like this even though I don't think it's a huge deal. I would change seats if possible but usually the room is packed. The one thing I'm grateful for is that this makes us more understanding people and if someone ever needed help concerning a health issue, I wouldn't hesitate to help or believe them.
I did have one positive experience where a girl in my class just shouted out, "hey! is anyone allergic to peanuts here cuz I have a PB sandwich but I don't want to kill anyone.." I thought it was really nice that someone actually thought about it. I didn't say anything though because I was far enough away that I couldn't smell anything.