Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Handwashing
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:38 am 

Hi there!

As a mum new to schools (son in JK) and learning the ropes of the system, I have a basic question about handwashing. In all the allergy information I read out there, the advise is for all children to wash hands before (esp important for child with allergies) and after (esp important for other children) snacks and meals. When you look at the practicalities of this - is it really feasible? I understand BEFORE for everyone. However, for afterwards too, I see the obvious difficulties (i.e. time, no sinks in the class / portable). How do schools tackle this key cornerstone to reducing risk realistically?

- do some schools limit washing hands afterwards, to just the classes where there are allergies present?
- in schools that are nut / peanut aware (so parents asked to not send these in lunchboxes), is this limited to just classes where allergens such as milk, egg etc present a greater level of risk?

In terms of wipes (if that's what it came down to); I know Wet Ones Antibacterial Wipes are supposedly ok to remove traces, and that sanitisers such as Purrell aren't. But what about cheaper options e.g. baby (diaper) wipes etc?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

When our daiughter was in JK, I requested that she be encouraged to wash her hands prior to eating but she would often tell me that there were no supplies (soap. paper towels) available. She also didn't seem to have enough time to wash her hands first and eat (possible line up to washroom?)
I sent a tub of wipes but they weren't closed properly, dried up and were tossed within a week.
Now I take a few wipes, cut them in half and put them in a zip lock baggy. I also send an empty baggy. She wipes her hands before and after eating.
Her class is concidered peanut free.
If she was having contact reactions I would request stricter measures but this seems to work for us. She is now in grade 1 and hasn't had a contact reaction yet.
There was a study a while back and it seemed to indicate that all of the wipes worked at removing the allergen from surfaces.
I'll see if I can find it and e-mail it to you. I have it in .pdf

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:32 am 

Daughter has wipes in her bag for before eating.
the procedure they have in place at daughters school is that first thing in the morning before the children go into the classroom they go via bathrooms and wash hands, and they do this after each break before going into classroom.
Her teacher is very good about this and she also suggests it is good for stopping the spread of colds and flus and things too.

HOpe you can work something out.

KAthi