You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:32 pm 

Hi guys, I've been lurking around the boards for a while but haven't posted in a longer time. I've got a problem and this is the only place I can think of where practical answers might be forthcoming. The daycare my son is set to go to in a week's time have come to me now saying that because they are a nutfree facility I can't bing in any outside food for my son who is allergic to dairy, wheat, egg and sesame seeds. They have offered to do all the cooking for him in their kitchen but all food that goes into their kitchen needs to be nut free, produced in a nut free facility. The brands I'm familiar with and use are not nut free. Where do I go to find the stuff that are safe for my son and meet the daycare's nut free requirement as well? I'm thinking more about grains and baked goods then ground beef or fruit. Thanks Karen Cormier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:52 pm 

The first company that comes to mind is Enjoy Life. These products are free of the top 10 allergens. They have a wide variety of foods for snacks. I would be a little nervous about the daycare preparing meals for your child. How will they control cross contamination in a busy kitchen? Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:11 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, that's pretty ambitious of them to try to avoid so many allergies.

I see that you are in Ontario and yes, daycares are also legislated to comply with Bill 3 now. It may seem at first glance that they are trying to do this by controlling the foods.

I would want to know that they have recieved training in allergen awareness to avoid cross contamination. They need to understand that your sons allergies are just as serious as the nut allergy.

Are they going to maintain separate cutting boards for cheese? How will they ensure that your child gets soy mild and not regular milk?

What about cross contamination of products such as margarine?

I would ask them to give you details about their food service policies to ensure that these issues have been dealt with.

Products that we use for egg, dairy, peanut and tree nut allergies (you would have to investigate for wheat content) are:

EnjoyLife
Earth Island/follow your heart (great mayonaise!)

I would suggest they prepare a menu plan focusing on fruits and vegetables with the starch being mainly rice or potato.

I hope you can work this out, but I would concider other daycares that allowed you to bring a special diet.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb