You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:14 am 

Our daughter has recieved a diagose of peanut allergy and we want to get her an official MedicAlert bracelet so emergency workers have all her info. However, the web site has no children's sizes or styles. Does anyone have a 1-800 number I can call and order her one. Thanks Kelly

Koen- born May 08- allergies?-I guess we'll see

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:46 pm 

My daughter is 3 years old and we got her a MedicAlert bracelet. The kids bracelets that have the fabric velcro band are adjustable and fits perfectly. If you are in Canada, just go to their website and you will be able to find it there. If you go into the products section there's a kids section, click on the "Kids" and it will take you to the velcro bracelets. The smallest one fits a 4.5 inch wrist which should fit a 2 year old. The website is www.medicalert.ca.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:07 pm 

Thanks Nadia- I ordered her braclelet today- I didn't get her the velcro band one yet- she is to little to understand she has to leave it on- so I got the link one with the clasp. She can decide on her own style once she gets older...thanks again Kelly

Koen- born May 08- allergies?-I guess we'll see

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:56 pm 

I know you already ordered but I ordered one from www.stickyj.com and I love the bracelet I get from there. Lots of room for them to engrave on the back and my son's just says "food allergies" on the front. Amy

3 sons allergic to various antibiotics
1 son allergic to fish, shellfish,peas, dogs, and dustmites
1 son allergic to basically the outdoors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:19 pm 
Site Admin

Momof ...

But the MA purchase is a lot more than a bracelet. It means access to their 24/7 call centre, where they tell the paramedics any deets on your condition(s) immediately. And they'll contact designated family members if you're in trouble.

Personally, I like the whole MA protection package, not just the bracelet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:50 am 

MA is good -- as long as you don't object to paying an annual fee and can afford it.

My son's school is not registered for No Child Without. And since I have to wait for that to happen -- I wish they'd change that name because it's No Child Without Except Mine.

I buy the epi-pens, the carriers, the anti-histamines, the special stuff he needs for school because of learning difficulties....but at some point, I just can't afford everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:08 pm 
Site Admin

I think there should be a wall of shame for those schools that have not registered or who choose not to register! :evil:

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:28 am 

The principal at my son's school had never heard of it. I can't really fault her for that.

I've given her the information and a link to the site and told her our school board is signed up and explained that THE PRINCIPAL of each school is responsible to register the school.

BUT, I think it's shameful the way this was all set up in the first place.

I'll bow out again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

AM,

Well, I think they're doing the rollout as swiftly as they can, but that it's a huge undertaking to cross a country the size of this one.

I've mentioned the MedicAlert contact at the end of this thread.
http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... t=clifford

I know Clifford has been willing to approach more schools at the request of parents.
So why not give him a try? Good luck with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:33 pm 

My school got involved in the program last year. We were one of the first in our board. My understanding is that each year more schools will join into the program until it is full implemented. Our principal really didn't have much to do at our school level. We just had to distribute the forms from Medic Alert. The parents then registered their children on their own. To be fair, principals are overloaded and they might not be aware that this program doesn't require much time on their part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:32 am 
Site Admin

Perhaps this can be included in the annual discussion of the schools individual anaphylaxic policy.

By the way...I am going to move this thread as it is more about MedicAlert than peanuts and perhaps those with other alergies would be interested.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:33 pm 

Hi I am new at this but i know everybody love Medical alert but if u have a teenage boy or even a boy around pre teen a company has developed a USB Dogtag i currently have one a I love it. It is a product from the US and I man created a program allowing u to store vital information for your childs like name, address, it even has a preffered hospital, and you can have a picture of you or your kid. This device works because in every EMS vechicle they have a laptop with USB so they can easily put the USB in. The company is SGMS. If u are intersted please vist this site.

[size=24][/size]www.sgmscorp.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:02 am 

16Nonuts wrote:
This device works because in every EMS vechicle they have a laptop with USB so they can easily put the USB in.

I would recommend people check with their own cities EMS. Blanket statements about *every EMS* are not always correct.

Also, I'd like to point out that in an emergency, paramedics check the wrist first. Other areas like neck, ankle, shoe tags are not always checked. However, a dog tag with the information is better then nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:36 pm 

Most EMS vechile do have a laptop inside also I do reconize that EMS personnel do check the wrist but they are trained to check all the over the body too (my brother is an EMR). Please remember that i said the product is in the US the idea of a USB dogtag has not really taken off in Canada yet. Also yesterday I forgot to note that the dogtag still has the STAR OF LIFE on it. I still wear a braclet with the USB because the idea of the USB is not that big in Canada. But the major advantage of this USB is that it holds more vital information than an average braclet does. The company that sells it not only has a dogtag it has a USB bracelets with the STAR OF LIFE and USB credit card. Its an option to the average braclet thats is more convenient than what is on the market today. If you want to learn more about this product then please visit the website at:

www.sgmscorp.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:25 pm 

gwentheeditor wrote:
Momof ...

But the MA purchase is a lot more than a bracelet. It means access to their 24/7 call centre, where they tell the paramedics any deets on your condition(s) immediately. And they'll contact designated family members if you're in trouble.

Personally, I like the whole MA protection package, not just the bracelet.

I absolutely DO NOT want to discourage anyone from the MA bracelets (although we have personally had some probs with the wording and size), but after talking at length with the head of EMS in our region, we were told that the paramedics ONLY look for the info on the bracelet, they don't contact MA for further info. I don't know what happens once the person is transported to the ER though. Our son is in a generic medical ID bracelet at the moment, and I feel quite comfortable with it, although we will probably send back the MA one to be replaced.