You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:57 pm 

Just wanted to share a positive experience I had yesterday.

My daughter's year at school had an end of term party. Each child was asked to bring a small plate of food to share but the note that went home spelled out very clearly what sorts of foods were allowed and that no nut or nut products were to be brought in.(a nightmare in my eyes)
There are 3 ana. children in the class, so us mums organised to be parent helpers for the party. The teachers were wonderfully helpful and allowed us to remove any suspect food, and also organised for one table to be the 'safe' table for these kids, with food we had made/ brought in for them.
At the end of the eating time - all children were sent to wash hands and were each given a wipe for their face and hands as well. The teacher supervised this and was heard telling some of the kids to go and wash properly or to wipe their face again. We washed and wiped down all the tables before the children were back in the classroom.

The smiles on our kids faces at being able to be involved in a 'normal party' (in my daughters words) was worth it all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:33 am 

that is awsome :D

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:23 pm 
Site Admin

Just saw this. What a lovely story.

Thanks Kathi, for telling us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

We had our end of school play day which included a hot dog lunch for the students. This is why I volunteer when I can and send my husband when I can't:
I arrived at the pre-arranged time and was told I shouldn't have to brought the hoy dogs and buns as they have allergen-free hot dogs and buns I always purchase the allergen-free hot dogs and buns. (What they had purchased was peanut and tree nut free but did contain eggs and dairy which we have students allergic to)

The other parents were going to put the allergen-free hot dogs on the grill that had already had the other hot dogs (and who knows what else?) on it. I took them inside and cooked them instead.

I know they meant well and I didn't make a big deal but I did answer their questions truthfully. is it really a big deal if they're cooked on the same grill? Yes, the dogs release so fat and juice while cooking and it would contaminate the next dog. It only takes one bite...I can't look into those trusting eyes and offer anything that I even remotely suspect.

Luckily the principal gets it. She met me as I was on the way intot he kitchen to cook the dogs and she was coming to get them. I got a very big thank you from her. :) All the thanks that I needed was to see those kids running around without any cares!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb