You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:33 am 

Last spring, my principal approached me about a Kyle Dine performance. She had just received a flyer in her mail about his school programs. So I organized it for our school. He just came on Monday. He put on 2 programs, one for our K - 4 students and a second one for our 5 - 8 students. Both performances were very well received!!

I teach on a rotary schedule in most of the primary classes providing a literacy period so the teachers have their prep time. So, I spent almost 2 weeks on allergies. I read the Alexander books, listened to Kyle's songs and had discussions. We were still covering curriculum as we made predictions, inferences and worked on listening strategies. While listening to Epiman, the students created "mental images" of epiman and then took the pictures in their heads and put in on paper. I had a large bulletin board of Epiman and Epiman Jr. posters on display prior to the concert. The primary kids knew most of the songs he sang and really belted out the songs along with Kyle. They just loved everything about epiman. He covered basic information about anaphylaxis and talked about his own allergies. At the end he took questions and the kids really had thoughtful questions. The kids really had fun.

The junior and intermediate presentation was very different and the teachers said that it was entertaining and fun but also informative. I was a little worried about how the older kids would respond but their teachers really praised the program. I didn't get to see the second performance. Kyle said that he covers Sabrina's law and more in depth info about anaphylaxis with this age group. Again the older students had some excellent questions as well I was told.

I guess I covered so much about allergies in my primary classes that some of the allergy jargon became very familiar with the kids. When the grade 1's were brainstorming "e" words, one child suggested the word epipen for the list.

The cost for both performances was 395 which is very reasonable compared to other groups we have hosted in our school. If you can convince your school to host Kyle, I would highly recommend it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:11 pm 

WOW! That really is reasonable.

Sounds like it was a lot of fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:05 am 

Thanks Kate!

Your school was an absolute pleasure to perform at! I felt like I was singing along with the students rather than vice versa during Epi-Man! The questions I received from both groups were very intelligent and thoughtful. I think it just goes to show that if students receive proper information/education on anaphylaxis, they gain a genuine desire to help keep their friends safe at school.