You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:36 am 

I have sent alexander the elephant DVD, and books to school to be read. I do believe that the school wil be more careful, however they have ran a preschool for 14 years and they have always had kids take turns bringing snack. The snack days for the rest of the year have been assigned, and the other kids look forward to their snack day. i would like them to change to "everyone brings for themselves everyday" but the other kids might be upset that they loose their special snack day. Then "loose special day because of my kid = be mad at my kid".

I talked to her teacher on the phone tonight. She really wants my daughter to return to class, but the "being left out at snack" will still be an issue.

I send my daughter to preschool for fun, and to socialize...but when her feelings are being hurt, and she is excluded, it kind of makes me not want to send her!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:10 pm 
Site Admin

I understand where you are coming from. My concern is that if you stop sending her to school she will always look upon school as a dangerous place where she doesn't fit in. If you can somehow get the school to see where they have created this situation and get them to show your daughter that they truy want her to feel good at school and have concrete plans about how to make that happen, she just may feel a bit better.
Are there any other children in your school with allergies? Could you start a support group? Could your teacher send a note home with the other students explaining to the parents what is acceptable as a snack and what isn't?
I really feel that your school needs a policy on how it plans to keep it's student safe. Have you approached the school board again?
Have you tld the school how close they are to losing this student and her sister due to their negligence? Boy, people in the USA would sue over less than this!! :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:32 pm 

My daughter stayed home today. She goes mon.wed.fri.. She realized that she missed a boys birthday today, and did not sing him happy birthday. So, she wants to go friday, and has come to the conclusion in her own that she will miss out on more if she stays home, than if she goes and eats a different snack.

The kids and teacher phoned today to tell her that they missed her and want her to come to school. She would not talk to them on the phone, but it seemed to really sink in that she missed out on the school day.

I just wish that snack was done differently, where each kid brings their own rather than the community take turns thing. How is snack done at your daughters preschool susan?
All of the other allergic kids at her school currently and in the past with the exception of one other who is currently in grade 4, eat from the "take turns snack" and eat whatever shows up that has been prepared by other parents. Obviously, the left over jelly bean from the christmas candy dish proves my point that having your allergic kid eat what other parents of non-allergic kids send is INSANE. But with this set up you have to choose safety or being just like the other kids. If everyone brought their own you could have both safety AND fitting in.

I am sure that they won't feed her anything anymore, and seem more sensitive to leaving her out of unexpected "treats" that other parents sometimes send. I think that next time they won't hand out any garbage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:18 am 
Site Admin

At our daughter's school each child brings their own snack. I too have sent safe treats for those situations where something is brought in that she can't eat. (Hasn't helped as she has been fed 3x now!)
I find it hard to accept that other people would be asked to bring in snacks for everyone. You don't know their standards of hygiene for a start, you wouldn't allow your child to eat homemade foods at Halloween but in a classroom setting it's ok? Does everyone really bring individually packaged treats?
Also, we were supposed to have telephone meetings instead of parent teacher interviews (JK), but we didn't have one. Perhaps it was felt that we had communicated enough through phone calls and notes sent back and forth. Too bad, I really would have liked to have had some more feed back about regular school activities and how she is doing at them. Apparently report cards come out in February so I might just wait until then. I have a lot on my plate at work and I find I have to pick my battles with the school. It is infuriating though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

Again!! :twisted:
Our daughter came home from school with a smal white lunch bag fashioned into a bunny. She wanted me to hep her glue on the cottonballs for the tail. Inside the bag was a pencil, a plastic egg with a ring and two erasers and down at the bottom under some plastic "grass" were 5 gummy type candies.
We didn't send them, no one advised us that they would be distributing treats.
I'm calling the school board Tuesday!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:50 pm 

Sorry to hear about this--I can't believe it has happened *again!* What's it going to take for them to get it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

According to our daughter, the grade 6’s came into the classroom to assist with the festivities. It was one of these students who put the candies in the bag.
I sent an e-mail to another parent whose child has food allergies and is in the same class as our daughter. She stated that another parent of a child with food allergies (did I mention that there are 6 in this class?) checked the ingredients and felt it was safe so she assumed that it was as well.

1. The mother who checked the ingredients has a son who is allergic to peanuts not milk or egg. I would not expect her to know all of the different names for egg or milk on a label.
2. That same mother has stated on several occasions that she gives her son foods which carry the disclaimer “may contain peanuts”. Obviously our comfort levels are different.
3. It was the grade 6’s who were handing out the candies, not an adult. This is too much responsibility to know which children to hand them out to and which to give special treats to.
4. I have sent on two occasions now containers of “special treats” for just such scenarios. Why weren’t they used?
5. I received a call from the principal 3 weeks ago advising us that a grade 1 class would be given Kindersurprise treats as a reward for winning a contest. This wasn’t even our class, why wasn’t I advised about treats planned for our daughters’ class?
6. If she eats anything which contains egg or milk she could die. Why is this such a difficult concept to grasp?

I understand that mistakes happen, but they are happening with regularity. I understand that we need to teach our daughter to not accept or eat these treats. We have and will continue to. It seems to me that the adults should be just as capable of such a responsibility as the 4 ½ year old. The adult is the one who is in charge of the classroom and needs to set the rules about what comes into the space and who disperses treats. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:47 am 

It just seems odd that people in charge of children assume that feeding them anything is okay unless they are informed otherwise. These "mistakes" shouldn't be happening--there are so many reasons why children should not be fed treats indiscriminately. What if a child is vegan? what if a child can only eat kosher food? what if she/he is diabetic?

I think that parents should sign a consent form allowing the school to give their children treats--if there is no consent form, they should not distribute snacks. (Or better yet, they could do away with giving out food altogether, which is what would happen, I would think, if they had to keep track of which kids have signed consent forms.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:40 pm 

Susan -

Obviously, this is just not acceptable. A 4-year-old should not be the most responsible person in the room. That is way too much responsibility for such a young child. I would go mental if someone gave my youngest (ana to milk/egg/peanut) ANYTHING to eat without my permission.

Good luck with the board on Tuesday, and keep us updated.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:08 am 
Site Admin

What with Easter and her flu bug, I've had little time to draft a letter. I did manage to create a letter tonight which I hope sounds optimistic yet stern. I pan to send it to the trustee and cc it to the school superintendant and the principal. (Honestly, I only know what the principal does :oops: )
As it turns out she has an eye infection t boot and started antibiotics tonight. I am keeping her home from both daycare and school for the first 24 hours. (I didn't tell the school why though.) This gives my husband a chance to read the letter and give input. We will both sign it as I don't want to be seen as some hysterical female.
I have no intention of our daughter setting foot in that school until the letter is sent. I'll fax it from work Wednesday am. I am including a copy of the e-mail I received from Anaphylaxis Canada regarding the website www.allergysafecomunities.ca and the manual Anaphylaxis in Schools & Other Settings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:21 am 

I forgot about that - the school principal should have received an email about the new guidelines and allergysafecommunities website.

Perhaps this is a good time to try positive reinforcement with him/her and say "Hey - aren't these new guidelines great?? They're just what we need right now. Why don't we sit down together and go over them and make sure that we're doing all we can to keep my daughter safe?" And you could show up with all the important stuff highlighted (downloaded from www.allergysafecommunities.ca).

Anyway, just a suggestion. :)

I hope your daughter is feeling better soon.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:56 pm 

Just to pick up on one thing that Susan said---I think peoples' gender stereotypes really hamper our ability to deal with allergies. It's sooo frustrating. especially in this day and age when feminism is supposed to have won the day. yeah right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:04 pm 

Lisa,

Quote:
What if a child is vegan?

I came across a vegan discussion group a while back. I tried to find it but was unsuccessful :( . There was a thread about schools feeding their children without consent! A lot of them were saying things like "you would not feed a child with allergies without consent". It was interesting to see that they thought the schools were being discriminatory against them by going against their wishes...and not the wishes of parents with children with allergies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:22 pm 

Just goes to show that people make all kinds of assumptions. WE assume that schools would not give our allergic children food without our consent! And yet....

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:22 pm 

I bet there are more parents out there than one might think who don't like having their children fed lots of candy and cake....especially with the concern now with childhood obesity and with the bad effects of trans fats. Other parents might jump on the allergy-control bandwagon if they felt that it would stop some of the snacks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next