You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:55 am 
Site Admin

Tuesday, the teacher used lima beans in a lesson plan for Math class. Our daughter is not allergic to lima beans (it's one of the few legumes she tolerates-she won't eat them but they are in the frozen mixed vegetables she tolerates) At 7 years old, she tends to lump all legumes together. Someday I will do a collage with her indicating which are OK and which are not but I digress...

She mentioned to her classmates, who told the teacher who was mortified and madce sure the students did not touch the beans.

I sent a quick note of reminder to the teacher and we spoke yesterday on the telephone. Suffice it to say that it is part of her learning curve and I am sure she'll remember next time.

I chose to send the principal a note not to get anyone in trouble but to express my appreciation of the students in our daughters class. My closing comments were,
Quote:
I want you to know how thrilled I am that R--- is lucky enough to have classmates who care about her and want to keep her safe. This is one of the positive aspects of having life threatening, you get to really see how much people care by the efforts they expend for no other reason except that they care about you.

When we read letters to editors written by people who are angry that they have to limit their childs snacks we need to remember that they are just a few. There are many out there who don't complain but simply comply with our requests, because they care.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb