You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:15 am 
Site Admin

When schools do things well, we need to let them know.

I came across a news letter in my mailbox today and this is how I responded (after contacting the school to make sure they were OK with me tooting their horn.) This school principal is fairly new and might not even know about this. It's not a huge deal to many, but it was a big relief to me and I want them to know that I appreciate it.

Quote:
I saw in a recent CSPA ( Catholic School Parents' Association ) newsletter that you were looking for a short description of any event, activity, or practise that takes place at your school to encourage healthy living. I would like to let you know about something that was introduced 4 years ago, when my daughter started at Saint -- Elementary School here in ---. Mdme. P. introduced the idea of healthy snacks being either fruit or vegetables. At the time, there were several students with food allergies and she was able to avoid most (but not all) this way. As well as encouraging students to eat a nutritious snack to tide them over until lunch time.
Even now, in grade 2 my daughter speaks of the morning snack as her "healthy" snack and wouldn't dream of bringing anything other than a fruit or vegetable. I think it's a great way of encouraging healthy eating. I think too, that when you see your peers also eating fruits and vegetables, you might be more inclined to try those and that's using peer pressure to our advantage! I would like to offer this as an example of overcoming obstacles and promoting healthy eating.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:58 am 

That is great when teachers and schools are so understanding.

My daughter's teacher was great last year despite having to work around allergies to milk, eggs, peanuts, fruits and veggies. She made sure all of the students with allergies could eat everything. It was very kind of her!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:03 am 
Site Admin

Well, she got that one right but if you read an old thread I started when dd was in JK, you'll see she got plenty wrong, too. What's that they say about a broken clock?
http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=405

I'm not sure where this healthy schools discussion at our school board is going but I want to be involved so that I can help keep it focussed on issues that are of concern to me. It's why I'm on the school council, too! If they work with me, I'll be their best friend... :P

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb