You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:27 am 

I posted before about the sesame-allergic child at school who sometimes (but not always) wears a medic-alert bracelet, and who may (or may not) have an epi-pen stored in the office (or perhaps in his classroom) which we might (or might not) need to be bringing to the playground with us (we're not!)

Well, we had a new child start today, and I overheard the following conversation:

"So, we want to get her maybe on the lunch program."
"That's fine, we can just pro-rate it for the days she'll get until the end of term."
"But you know, she is lactose intolerant. Is that a problem?"
"No, we can let the lunch lady know."
"But sometimes, we want her to drink milk. For vitamins."
"Oh, okay. So..."
"She has lactaid pills."
"Great, if you could just fill out this form authorizing us to dispense medication..."
"And while we are talking about food, she also has a life-threatening allergy to kiwi."
"Oh! Okay, so is there something for that?"
"Well, we just don't give it to her. But I can leave you some benadryl."
"Ok."
"Also, she shouldn't have shellfish. Or products containing shellfish."

Over-hearing this, I was feeling nervous on this child's behalf. First of all, it took them so long to get to the point, and then they just kept adding stuff. I wonder if they even told us all of it. And they didn't seem to have a plan or anything. It just baffles me. Why are some parents not a little more organized about this? I worked at a camp last summer that had very strict policies about allergy plans, and the director once got yelled at by a mom for not letting the kid go off-site because the epi-pen had been left at home. The director was understandably (in my opinion) affronted by this and said that if the mom had followed the instructions, repeatedly given, to supply a spare to the nurse, it all would be fine. But the mom did not listen, did not follow the protocol for the safety of her child, and then got mad when the camp did what they were supposed to do. I guess our school does not have a clear enough policy if these parents are getting away with such fuzzy instructions (a dozen remarks into the conversation, she finally mentions the life-threatening allergy!) but it truly baffles me. I feel like if this were my kid, I would arrive for the registration with a printed list of what the child can and cannot eat, and what my instructions would be in various situations. I wouldn't be casually remembering at the last minute that by the way the child could DIE if people give her a certain thing. I just don't get it.

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:57 am 
Site Admin

You know the saying, "You need to take a test to drive a car but anyone can have a baby"? Well...anyones baby can have food allergies. :roll:

I worry when our daughter or those who look after her, meet people who are so nonchalant. I worry that I will be seen as too over protective.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Last edited by _Susan_ on Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:27 pm 

It would be interesting to have everyone share the "can't believe it" stories...

We had a parent write in their child's agenda that child was now allergic to bee stings and had an epi-pen. We asked the parent where it was - "At home." :? Then we said it needs to be at school. They have him put it in his locked locker :roll: Now we are all supposed to remember where his locker is located and the combo (thankfully it is a word lock). He is cognitively delayed and doesn't get the seriousness of the epi so they don't want him carrying the epi with him but I don't get why the teacher doesn't keep it or the office.