You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:31 am 

My daughters valentines cards to hand out did NOT have candy or anything attached to them. A few kids in the class (about 6 ) attached candy, but a few who parents who seem to "get it" that my kid does not eat the candy, gets put in a dangerous situation, and feels left out included a coloring page or a pencil on everyones card, not just my daughters. If the school knows that the candy will "magically appear" because it happens every year, they could always put up a poster prior to the party saying something to the effect that "our preschoolers are sweet enough already, please refrain from including candy and other food on your valentines." Honestly, I think that the majority of parents would appreciate that their child did not bring home yet another pile of crap.

I phoned her future kindergarten, and talked to her future teacher about the situation we have currently, how she is left out etc. The teacher really gets the whole allergy thing, and the whole "lets not make her excluded thing" and says that she will send out a news letter to parents NOT to send in any "treats" for the class to share because kids with allergies get left out, and some parents strongly disagree with their kids being handed candy, cake and other junk at school anyways. My best friends nut/peanut allergic daughter is currenty in that teachers kindergarten class and has done a good job "breaking in" the teacher already. Currently most food centred activities have been replaced by "non food" ones due to my friends daughter, so next year will just be a continuation. I am optomistic.

I have pretty much decided that I will not be sending my youngest until kindergarten. Her allergies are more "contact sensitive" and are to foods which are allowed in the school. I will hold off until she enters the actual school system and not try to put her in privately run preschool...I feel that we have no rights there, and the preschool focuses more on keeping the majority happy because they are running a business based on enrollment. My daughter is feeling sick tonight, so I will keep her home tomorrow...I honestly feel like pulling her out, she does not like going anymore anyways, and just putting her in kindergarten in the fall. She is currently attending because "If I am not in the class, I won't get invited to my friends birthday parties". Luckily, the mothers of all the girls in the class discussed, and the majority agreed to invite all girls to parties to not leave kids out and hurt the delicate feelings of acceptance among 4 year old girls.