You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:28 pm 
Site Admin

Since we published our article on "Food Allergy Backlash" in the latest issue of Allergic Living, I've been getting a number of calls and e-mails from people saying they're encountering some new resistance to food allergy accommodations at school.

One parent mentioned getting "grilled" about the "realities of food allergies" by two fellow parents who obviously didn't know so much about those realities. Another mom said she's found "resistance growing" to rules against bringing in home baking in a Grade 2 class.

A couple of people mentioned other people suggesting (probably misunderstanding media reports) that scientists have already found "the cure" for allergies.

Anybody here noticing any resistance at your child's school? Are things getting better or worse? Interested to hear ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:48 pm 

Thank you Gwen for bringing this up! My son just started Kindergarten this year & we were wondering if it was just us. We have encountered quite a bit of resistance. We have no prior experience to compare it to but I think you have hit the nail on the head. I am a teacher & have previously taught students (older students though) with multiple allergies & do not remember as many difficulties. I also think that perhaps I have less clout when I explain allergy issues as a parent than as the classroom teacher.

DD 4 YRS (asthma)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:30 am 

I'm also new at this because our preschool was already nut/peanut free before my daughter started there - we only have to implement some minor changes and the teachers have been just awesome. I have no idea how the parents of the main school will react, but so far, I've had nothing but cooperation from the principal and nurse, as well as a reasonable response at a PAC meeting where I decided to bring this tup.

We have a meeting on Friday with the principal and nurse to hammer out the details of our school's anaphylaxis plan (yes, they currently don't have one even though another older child has a serious peanut allergy) so we'll see how that goes! I guess I won't really know about the effects of backlash since I will have nothing to compare it to if/when I get resistence from parents or staff. Fingers crossed that it all goes OK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:07 pm 

I haven't experienced this with our son's preschool, but have experienced it with friends & family. Our son was recently diagnosed as anaphylactic to peanuts, and we are still in the process of telling people, very few show much concern, and we've heard 'Didn't they just find a cure for peanut allergies?' 'my niece outgrew her egg allergy when she was 8' 'at least it's common so everyone will know about it' on a regular basis. I feel like it belittles the difficulties & danger of living with a life threatening allergy. I've also been amazed at how many restaurants etc don't know about allergens, but that's a whole other topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:37 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for your replies. Interesting, I've even personally heard this a few times now as an allergic adult - "but haven't they now got a cure?"

Over-zealous headlines apparently aren't helpful to the awareness of those who aren't living with allergies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:47 pm 

Our son is too young for school but our family is where we seem to have the biggest problem with blatant disregard for my household safety rules, indifference to our son's allergies , disbelief of food allergies, intolerance and visible irritation with his 'multiple life threatening' allergies!!! Even his asthma is downplayed by them!!
I was told by one family member recently that they've read that many parents (meaning me) are mis diagnosing food intolerances for allergies and that all people have food intolerances of some kind or other and they are normal. Then she added has anyone sat me down and really talked to me about what I see as our son's food issues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. All I hear is that he looks healthy to them.

Other family members constantly tell me to basically relax and chill out as they ' just read' that allergies are cured and there should be no reason to worry. This means that any rules I have regarding our son and food/touching him etc. are silly and over reacting.

I have never encountered anything in my life which is met with such cynical critique and disbelief.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:50 pm 

Sadly many of us have found that family has been the least understanding. I really feel for you since your son is not yet at an age where he can speak up for himself.

On another thread someone said they ask people if a food said "May contain poison" would they eat it? She said it made the point more clearly to some that just don't get it.

I know of an adult who tried the desensitization starting with an amount so minute one could never replicate it at home and still had an anaphylactic reaction so it definitely is not something we are trying ourselves!

hmmmm thought for a discussion - the great comeback lines to ignorant comments!