Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Lunch monitors
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:59 pm 
Site Admin

FYI, for AL's Fall issue, we're finishing up an article on who's supervising any kids during their lunch, recess.

We've got information from all over the country, but are hearing some conflicting information on Toronto-GTA elementary schools.

In most cases, we're told that Toronto lunchroom supervisors are hired, paid, part-time adults. And kids eat in gyms or lunchrooms rather than individual classrooms.

Is that the case in your school if you're in Toronto or Mississauga?

In several other Ontario boards, there are adult supervisors "available" but not actually in classrooms where kids eat. The in-class "monitoring" is often done by Gr. 5 and 6s - with an adult (teacher or EA) rotating through.

We're digging up official views on this, but wondered about practice (especially in Toronto /Miss) as opposed to guidelines.

Thanks for any assistance. Gwen

Interested in hearing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:29 am 

At my kids' school (a TCDSB school in Toronto), kids eat in their classrooms. There two are student supervisors in each class (as young as grade 5 students) and one adult who walks from class to class. This can be a teacher, or it can also be a paid position.

My sister is a paid lunch supervisor at her kids' school (another TCDSB school nearby). She walks from class to class. There are students in the school with severe food allergies and she has never had any anaphylaxis training from the school (but she knows all about allergies/epipens from our family). She asked the principal at the end of last year if she could come to the anaphylaxis training provided to teachers and she was told we was more than welcome -- but it had never been mentioned to her before and if she hadn't asked she doubts the training ever would have been offered to her.

I have been in discussions with my kids' school and have expressed my concerns with the lack of adult supervision in the school at lunch time. They have apparently been "looking into it". I'm not all that hopeful...

Looking forward to AL's fall issue!

Amanda

DS 1: environmental allergies. DS 2: penicillin allergy, outgrew peanut allergy. DS 3: allergic to dairy, eggs, banana & tree nuts. DD: no allergies. DH: bee sting allergy, lactose intolerant. All have asthma. http://www.familynature.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:19 am 
Site Admin

Amanda, thank you, that's really useful to know. G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:54 pm 

Sorry if I'm to late into this, but at the k-5 TDSB school my son was attending, they have paid adult supervisors (all trained on epi). The students eat in the gym, at tables. On occasion, if the gym is not available, students eat in their classrooms, and the supervisors are in the hall, checking into several classes each. (When I happened to have been in the school doing some volunteer work a few times, I noticed that many of the teachers chose to stay in their classrooms until the students were dismissed outside -- but that's optional, it is their lunch period too.)

The 6-8 school, the students eat in a lunchroom, but I don't yet know who is supervising.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks AM. The article is finished, but these anecdotes are all useful as AL keeps a watch on this issue.

It's a bit all over the place, depending on the school. Some have made excellet provisions for lunch, at others it's a grey area. Once again, consistency emerges as an issue with school and anaph.

Hoping we keep collecting stories here, that the issue we spur some discussion when it comes out in September.

thx, Gwen