You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: H1N1
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:37 am 

For those of you with allergic children already in the school system I was wondering how you handle such situations as protocol coming in place for H1N1. Mentioned in an article today was the fact that our school board has 700 supply teachers and retired teachers to call upon if needed. How on earth will they be able to ensure (especially as they will be called in last minute and maybe more than one at a time) that these teachers are informed of allergies and epipen use etc. . I also see that one school board has plans for what to do if their schools are closed with alternate schools listed. Again, how does this affect the safety of those students who have medical needs. New teacher, new room, new school, how do they ensure these kids don't fall into cracks and tragedy happen? I know have a few years still before this effects our son but it does concern me for those already at school.

Quote:
— There are currently about 700 occasional teachers on the school boards’ supply list. Administrators are also discussing building a list of retired teachers who are available to work. The budget contains contingency funding for these kinds of emergencies, he said.
.....and promptly isolating students with an influenza-like illness in a separate room or area.

By late July, though, only the Catholic board had a comprehensive pandemic plan, which sets out in detail the steps to be taken if a school is closed.

For example, each Catholic board principal must list the two closest schools that can be used as alternative locations during the partial or complete closure of a school.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:54 am 
Site Admin

According to our school board website:
Quote:
School closure (Emergency Alternate School Relocation)
(aa) In the event that insufficient staff are available to continue to supervise and operate a school, the emergency alternate school relocation shall be implemented. (Crisis Response Plan)
(bb) In the event that a school is not able to open on account of a closure (quarantine) and an alternate school location is not feasible, the cancellation of transportation services notice will be provided by the Ottawa Student Transportation Authority to local radio and television stations and on the Board web site.
(cc) The Director of Education or alternate may initiate an emergency school relocation during a pandemic event where insufficient staff is available to supervise and operate a school. Public announcements will be provided to local radio and television stations and placed on the Board web site. Available staff from nearby schools will be directed to attend the emergency alternate school. The Ottawa Student Transportation Authority will advise operators of the change in location. The Crisis Response Kit of each school participating in the Emergency Alternate School Plan shall be taken to the emergency school.

Quote:
Board Crisis Response Kit
A Board Crisis Response Kit shall be instituted that contains essential communication information, financial information, first aid kit and recent documentation deemed critical should it become necessary to evacuate the Catholic Education Centre and regroup
at the temporary Administrative Headquarters.

I'll be contacting our school prinicpal to ensure that the Epi-Pens medication permission forms and allergy awareness posters are included in the kit!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:05 pm 

At my kids K-8 school they have an "Allergy Alert" sign on the classroom door. There is a folder inside the classroom which is used for attendance at lunch-time--- inside that is the allergy information. Typically teachers will leave notes for the sub which include health information.

lightbulb icon needed --- wonder if they could have information by the sign-in book for subs that lists by grade level if there are students with allergies or health concerns. That would prompt the sub to make sure they find that info!

Some teachers apparently post it in their classroom but they should not since the school can not even tell anyone about a child's allergy unless the parents okay it! And as the kids get older they do not want to stand out.