You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:08 am 

DSs Kindergarten classroom is considered peanut/tree nut free (I still send everything from home). But yesterday when I was waiting in the hallway to drop him off, the doors opened and a bunch of older kids came out, with empty lunch containers. I asked that teacher about it and she said the recycling team met a few times a month and had their lunch during the meetings, sometimes in the kindergarten classroom. The rest of the school is NOT peanut free, so I assume the kids could have had pb&j or whatever. I mentioned it to the teacher and she said 'I assume they know that this class is nut free (although the parents wouldn't know in the am when preping lunch). She said she'd wipe down the tables and mention it at the next meeting, and thanked me for bringing it to her attention.

Am I being paranoid and difficult? She's been helpful, but seems a little stressed (just coming back after mat leave). I don't want to be overbearing, but I was shocked to see the classroom being used as a lunchroom.

What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

Sadly, this doesn't surprise me. I believe the schools do intend to have nut free rooms but they are not wired to pick up every food event. You need to gently remind them of the policy and how this does not mesh with it.

The lunch meetings will have to be held elsewhere or...the entire school can go nut free. :wink:

I contact the principal with every situation (usually in person) either to discuss the situation or to inform her of the conversation I have had with the teacher...just to keep her in the loop.

With time, they will get it.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:01 am 

Some schools have ALLERGY ALERT posted on the door or window of the classroom. The problem is that I don't think they can actually post what the allergens are due to privacy. However, if you give the okay to post on the door what the allergens are for your child it may help.

Did any changes happen after you mentioned it?