You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:24 pm 

When I dropped DS off at kindergarten today (for the first time!), I mentioned to the teacher that if she ever wanted to give out cupcakes or cookies to the class for a special occasion, I'd be more than happy to bake them for everyone. She thanked me, but then asked if I wanted to be 'celebration coordinator', which means organizing food for parties etc (halloween, xmas etc...). Part of me thinks it's a good way to keep track of whats entering the classroom, but the other part thinks it'll be a whole lotta work for nothing, since I'll be sending his own snack regardless.

What do you think?
:?

Last edited by Becky on Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:29 pm 

It is a great opportunity for you to educate others in K which will only help you as your son gets older.

It shouldn't be that big of a deal --- for a class of 25 they usually had 4 people bring foods - often 1 cheese, 1 fruit, 2 sweets. They did a sign-up sheet at the beginning of the year and then just have to remind everyone a week or two ahead.

I always volunteered a lot at my kids' school but I really enjoy that and miss it now. In the early years the kids liked it too. I even got on an extra field trip or two because of the allergies --- gotta take the rare perk!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:30 pm 

p.s. Let us know how his first day went!

For him and you :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:26 pm 

Wow, your classes started today? Ours doesn't start until next Tuesday and I'm glad because I don't feel 'ready' yet. I would probably be the snack coordinator just for my own peace of mind, even though it would just be another thing to add to the list of 'to dos'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:56 am 

Oh Becky I would do it. It is a great way to know what is brought to the class room, and a great way to meet the other parents. I was the kindergarten volunteer coordinator for both my children's classes and though it was not about allergies for my kids it was a great way to meet the parents of the children that were going to be my children's classmates for the next few years. The children will want play dates and it is nice to know the families. As a parent who has spent my fair share of time at the school it can get hard to know the other parents. Many parents you will never see at the school as the kids take the bus or walk (I pick the kids up everyday, two different schools). I always go to the school meetings and very few parents show up to that as well.

Yak, Yak I better stop its late! Have school in the morning :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:21 am 

Thanks for all of your replies, I think I'll do it, just so I know what's coming into the classroom, whether he can have any or not, I HATE food surprises!!

The first week is over (phew) and it's been a little tough all around. Even without food allergies it's a big adjustment! Getting use to a big school, big parking lot, 2 set of shoes, tons of forms to fill out, all the 'big kids' around at belltimes etc..

But with regards to food it's been a little tricky, as I mentioned in another thread the teacher gave out unique shaped/decorated home baked cookies on the first 2 days of class. Fortunately I had a heads up and was able to make comparable ones for DS. We also had the 'welcome bbq & open house', we went & packed some snacks for DS. They were giving out individual oreo packs with a clear 'this product may contain traces of peanuts' warning, which made me cringe, but then we went to see the classroom (DH hadn't seen it yet) and they had the door to the outside open since they were BBQing right outside the kindergarten and coming back & forth thru it, they were also using the sink & counter as a food staging area!!!!! (:shock:) I think they were just BBQing burgers, but it still bothered me, especially since the Kindergartens are considered 'peanut/nut free'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:37 am 

They may have innocently done the food prep there if they have always done it that way. The school admin and staff have to be very careful what they disclose about personal information so people may not know the severity of your son's allergy.

Each families' comfort level is different due to severity of allergy so people uneducated in allergies don't realize that your discomfort with may contain peanuts would be different than mine (my daughter's PA is negligible) yet both kids are allergic to peanuts.

Most parents are very understanding once they are educated!

I would mention to the teacher that it was difficult to see the food being prepped there when it very well could have contained his allergens. It is not unreasonable for you to say that. There must be other sinks in the school!

Sounds like they need a reminder that No Peanuts and No Nuts is 24-7.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:36 am 

UPDATE:

The snack letter just came out, I was expecting that it was just going to be a heads up thing and that I'd be given a class list with phone #s. But instead it's a letter home with the dates of the parties (5 of them) and a sign up list of what people should bring.
This is the list:

Please circle from below
NO PEANUTS OR NUTS OF ANY KIND

Sweet Snack:
Fruit:
Veggies & Dip:
Other:
Juice Boxes (pr punch..)
20 Holiday Shaped Sugar Cookies:
20 Holiday Shaped Sugar Cookies:
Icing (2 or more colours, enough for 36 cookies, in baggies for the kids to use as cookie decoration):
Cookie Decorations: (Holiday appropriate, ie candy slices, M&Ms, sprinkes etc.., enough for 36 cookies)

Am I being critical, or is that a lot of stuff (9+ items)? And while I appreciate that there's a peanut warning, later on there's a suggestion of M&Ms as a decoration. I wish we could have come up with the list together. Is it really necessary to decorate cookies every holiday? A sugar cookie is bad enough, but when you start piling candy on it, from various sources, it's a nightmare.

Any advice about where to go from here?
:(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:00 am 
Site Admin

I think you need to discuss this with the teacher and/or principal. There needs to be some sort of policy or plan to avoid the likelyhood of a reaction. Your child needs to be able to come to school and not expect to get sick.

Unfortunately, Alberta does not have legislation or a ministerial order so you may have to look into what you do have. You can always refer to Allergy Safe Communities Anaphylaxis in Schools and Other Settings manual. http://www.allergysafecommunities.ca/pa ... p?catid=33

I would nip this in the bud. If they don't want you baking the cupcakes etc, then they can't have them! There is no need to fill the kids up with sugar to celebrate Christmas!

You might not be popular but if you start now, it will get easier as the years go by. :swing

Don't forget to simply point out the issues and ask them to explain how they plan on dealing with them. Let them squirm. Don't accept vague answers. Ask for concrete examples . :popcorn

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:36 pm 

The kids are usually really good about it. When the teacher asked for candy to decorate they specifically said it had to be safe for the student with allergies so my daughter checked every label (helps that she has practice with her sister!).

The teacher has good intentions but just doesn't understand the risks.