You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:10 am 
Site Admin

This is just a little story, but it demonstrates the lack of understanding still out there. With unfortunate results ....

BBC News / Oct. 5/09

John Hunter has worked at Corstorphine Primary School for 10 years.

The 69-year-old, who dished out chocolates on his birthday and at Christmas, said pupils would queue up to give him high-fives.

He decided to quit when he said he was told to stop both activities after two complaints from parents. The council said it was "sad" he was leaving.

Mr Hunter said he was told by the council that giving out high-fives was a "health and safety risk".

It is thought that one parent complained after John gave a chocolate with nuts to a child with a nut allergy by mistake.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scot ... 290489.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:04 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
He said: "This is the first complaint I've ever had in 37 years. Now suddenly I'm a danger to these children.

"They said it's health and safety, but I can't see if it's the children's safety or mine.

"I've built up a strong relationship with them over the years, and I'm going to miss them a lot. I was thinking about retiring anyway, so I've handed in my resignation.

"But it's a rotten way to go. The children have made me promise to come back and tell jokes."

You'd think in 69 years one would develop a thicker skin. He was thinking about retirement and decided to make this the issue he goes out on. :roll:

Schools are right to set limits on casual contact between adults and students. perhaps a high-five is innocent but the line has to be drawn somewhere.

The two complaints may very well have come from parents of children with food allergies. Don't take candy from strangers is a common family rule amoungst those without allergies though and some parents may have simply felt that this gentleman was a little too friendly with their children.

This is a sign of the times.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:42 am 

The UK media love to publish stories on the over-the-top approach to health and safety. This does a disservice to the health and safety industry as it undermines the important work, particularly on construction sites and other dangerous locations. Unfortunately it is all too common for organizations, institutions, companies, schools, individuals, etc to cite "health and safety" as an excuse not to do something, when there is really another reason they don't want to go into. This article is more of a criticism on the health and safety culture in the UK than a fair piece on allergies.