You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:26 pm 

Our daughter just came home with her science book. I was supposed to sign her latest worksheet. I literally gasp when I saw the huge title. The Peanut Project. They actually roasted a REAL PEANUT!!! I had to ask her over and over to clarify that it was in fact done with real peanuts. There are kids with allergies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT IS WRONG with our school???? The more incidents like this the more I fear for our children. So now the science room his contaminated with peanut!!! Where are they storing these peanut for science experiments, what about the containers,instruments used to handle them, how are they being cleaned. The fact too that they are roasting them is insane, I know the chance of an airborne reaction is minimal due to a few peanuts but it could be possible. Really!!!!!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Last edited by BC2007 on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

Ugh! Didn't she recently recently give talks at her school?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:51 pm 

Turns out the science room is also the room where they organize the hot lunches, and the kids eat if say they are in portables and they group a couple classes together or when there are fewer kids at school on inclement weather days. Hope the peanuts are being store with a lid on them at least. I emailed our school board trustee already, he replied and will forward concerns onto the principal.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

OMG, just when you think you've heard it all ...

This is in Ontario, with Sabrina's Law, not to mention your daughter speaking to the class :confused

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:07 pm 

If your child is in the OCDSB and is in grade 5 make sure they are not doing this science experiment!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:14 am 

How awful!! Clearly, they don't get it at all. One more trip to the office...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:57 am 

I don't get why food needs to be a part of science experiments. The next one is apparently using hot dogs. Um, I don't have to avoid hot dogs but I'm fairly certain there is soy and maybe dairy in them!!!!!!!!! I guess the school just is waiting for a tragedy before acting.
darn I just deleted here by accident. I'm in a pms mode today.
anyway..
I am SO CONFUSED. The school just called, the principal said she was in panic mode all day over this and checked with the teacher and was told no peanuts were used. Our daughter is 10 and not a liar, she can be wrong but is not a liar. She is 100% adamant they used peanuts. she said as soon as she saw the worksheet she went right to the teacher to ask if they were using real peanuts and the teacher replied yes, but only the teachers. I suggested that maybe he did say this, or maybe the way he answered confused her like "yes, of course we would not use peanuts". ??? Who knows. The worksheet is called the peanut project, the ingredients needed lists peanuts, the worksheet under the peanut section is all filled out, temp., reaction etc.. So I asked the principal how could this misunderstanding escalate to this point. I am not calling the teacher a liar either, but somewhere something is not right. I was told that the teacher used cork and not peanuts. So would this be enough to confuse my daughter, maybe, then why didn't they change the title on the reaction section filled out from peanut to cork? Our daughter said they took a cork, put a needle in it, put what she thought was the peanut on that, it goes into some tin so she couldn't see and then they take the temp. with a long themometer. The reaction is filled in on her worksheet under the peanut section to confuse me more.
She said the kids in the class told her to calm down but she couldn't. I am at a loss with this one. I asked my daughter IF the principal did talk to other kids would they have the same story. She said the others don't listen and she is a good listener but if they did listen then they would know she was telling the truth.

What to think, what to think??????
I suggested changing the entire worksheet altogether. I was upset all night over this wondering how I could ever send our son to school.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:12 pm 

Oh my God!!! I am speechless!!! I have been teaching for over 18 years and I have NEVER even heard of this experiment or unit. BC2007 what is the unit your daughter is studying? My son is also in grade 5 and I can't figure out why they would need to use a peanut. We live in Ontario and the curriculum is the same throughout - is this teacher even following the curriculum? I'd love to know.

boys' mom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:06 pm 

She told me it was their energy unit???

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:57 pm 

That's absolutely insane!!!!! Do they let them build campfires in the classroom too????? :banghead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:09 am 

Last year in a home ec class the teacher was using peanut butter :banghead I asked and was told it wasn't a concern :x so when I happened to see the supervisor for all of the home ec in the division I asked if peanuts or nuts are used since my daughter takes home ec at a different school and was told they are not used. I then told the supervisor that it was happening and felt like I was tattling but in 2009 I just couldn't believe they would do that.

And there are students at the high school with peanut and tree nut allergies.

The insensitivity I have come across in teachers is mind boggling. The number that joke about the allergies makes me sick. The first time it happened I was so stunned I didn't respond but shared here on the forum and got great ideas so when it happened yesterday with someone else I let him adult know it was not funny at all. Then I shared all the details of my daughter's anaphylaxis and I hope he got my point... Either that or he hoped I would send the Mama Bear costume back!

On the other hand, there are many teachers who are incredible about it and thankfully they are in the majority. Many will ask me more about my daughter's allergies and our challenges which I hope will help them in dealing with other students.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:04 am 

BC2007

I re-checked the Ontario curriculum and nowhere does it even mention anything about food in the energy expectations for grade 5. You might want to use this approach with the principal. You can even print out the expectations. Go to Ministry of Education - ontario, click on teachers, click on curriculum, then scienc

boys' mom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:41 am 

The science teacher just called and we had a LONG chat. First he made it very clear that he would never use a peanut as his niece is anaphylactic to peanuts. He sounds horrified but explained how our daughter was actually correct in all her assumptions. Firstly, he takes the blame for not checking the worksheets more carefully as his student teacher picked the project (not curriculum) as something fun and different to do, I see he really did mean well and it was supposed to be a fun, treat type experiment. The science teacher told me when he did see the worksheets he ok'd doing the experiment. He did see the (literally) 2 inch Peanut title and takes the blame for not having the title, the peanut in the ingredients and the peanut reaction part taken out. It didn't cross his mind (at that time) that as the two teachers knew they weren't using peanuts this would become and issue later. Looking back he sees how wrong an assumption this was.

I said our daughter is adamant she went to his desk and asked if they were in fact burning peanuts and she swears he said yes. I mean she was in tears last night that she wouldn't lie about peanuts and her brother's life. He said he can't remember exactly but that if she did approach him he probably only heard 'are we really burning at the desk" where he replied yes but only at the teachers desk. Because she freaked her classmates told her to calm down and told her she was over reacting to using peanuts. Our daughter is very reliable and they know how she feels about peanuts . Also because they saw her ask the teacher and return to her desk upset believing he had just confirmed using peanuts they all assumed she was correct. THEN, to make matters worse the teacher admitted that the way the experiments were conducted would have actually looked like they might have in fact used a peanut or other unknown project as everything was covered and they didn't show too much to the class due to using fire. Plus, they filled out all the data from this part of the experiment under the peanut reaction section!!!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! I was very glad that he said he was not upset but instead very proud of our daughter for stepping up even to an authority figure when she truly felt something unsafe was being done. She has been terrified all night. I suggested not doing this experiment again and removing the worksheets from being done again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This one caused me HUGE stress. Not only the peanut part but I was SOOOO confused over how the teacher's story yesterday was so different from our daughter's. He mentioned it also has been brought to his attention that using marshmallows isn't a good idea due to not only gelatin allergies but religious beliefs (gelatin). Food in general I don't think should be used, I'm sure they will stick to the curriculum from now on and avoid food science projects!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:03 pm 

She just got home from school..............they were fed full sized hot dogs with buns and chips for a class project today :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead
On top of the fact that buns contain sesame, hot dogs contain??? (soy/dairy??) , what chips I do not know.......I had supper ready for her as we are leaving for a hockey tournament, she isn't hungry as they just ate the hot dogs this afternoon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last week was boston creams, this week hot dogs....and she had just eaten her lunch!!!! Do the kids with allergies just not get to participate at this school, what do they do during all this....I don't get it!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:11 pm 
Site Admin

I don't think many parents know how prevalent food is inthe schools until it becomes a concern for them and then... :frightened

Thank goodness, this is not your allergic little one! When he starts school, you will have to ensure that any plans to inculde food in any way is discuss with you first.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb