You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:46 pm 

Just thought I would pass it on as it may help you be aware if you are in Ontario

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5 ... ref=search

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:36 am 

Other common and healthy foods are banned too! Like
-kiwi
-tuna
-honey nut cheerios
-eggs
-pumpkin seeds (which are not nuts, they are baby pumpkins)
-sunflower seeds (though foods made in sunflower oil are okay)
-strawberries
-tahini (but sesame snaps are sold by the school)

We have had the "ban or not to ban" discussion on this board elsewhere. I think it goes too far when so many are banned unless the students are anaphylactic. My child has other food allergies that are not anaphylactic and I get mad at the school when they tell other students they can not have them. Please do keep the anaphylactic allergens out of the classroom so they can focus on learning!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:34 am 

I certainly do not agree with the "ban protocols". I prefer that schools be educated about cross contamination and how to prevent it as opposed to banning a certain food.

I understand why the group has a petition on Facebook. It is frustrating when so many things are banned. However, despite the fact that the group claims that they understand the severity of food allergies, they demonstrate quite the opposite. Take a look at the group description, and this statement :

Quote:
New Research in the New England Journal of Medicine, as well as a British study, have successfully cured peanut allergies through exposure therapy in 33 children. Therefore, it is in the best interest of all to ensure immune systems are kept at optimal performance, and that all food products are allowed in public schools and everywhere.

I don't know about others, but I feel the group is implying that the best way for kids to "get cured" from an allergy is to be exposed to the allergen. That's a really dangerous assumption. Sabrina Shannon died of cross contamination trace amounts. My daughter almost became a second Sabrina.

I do not believe the people in the group truly understand the severity of food allergies. Sadly, this is the case in other provinces as well, including Nova Scotia, where we live.

Noha

http://www.allergymom.ca

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:16 am 

They are a very misinformed group. If you read through the posts, there is reference to Sabrina being an american child who was uneducated about her allergies.

The group clearly states it's not a place for discussion (aka education).

They are trying to fight it at one school - and if what they say is accurate, it doesn't sound like it's being done well there. I have my doubts about their accuracy though. No links to the school policy, and some of the people are questioning it because they go to the same school and haven't seen it.

Also -- no posts in over a month.