You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Group air travel
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:42 pm 

My peanut anaphylactic daughter's school band is planning a trip next spring to New York. We were very excited at the prospect. A trip in North America seemed something we should be able to do. I volunteered to go as a chaperone. The sample agenda shown at the parent meeting last May used an airline I was not familiar with. I was given the impression that this was not necessarily who they would use.I suggested alternate airlines that had been used by other schools taking anaphylactic students. Over the summer I checked into peanut policies of this and alternate airlines and communicated this to the teacher. As it turns out the travel company booked them in with this particular airline which serves not only peanuts but meals with peanut satays. Monies have been spent to secure great deals.

I will not risk putting my daughter in this situation. Finding an alternate airline is possible but at much more personal expense. Coordinating meeting up with the group is another big challenge. It also means she is unable to travel with her friends which is a large part of the fun.

It seems to me that the travel agencies should be finding out if there will be students with severe allergies before they ask for deposits. I think they should be using airlines that do not serve peanuts when this is the case so that none of our students are excluded.
Has anyone faced a similar situation?