You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:01 am 

Hopefully, the results of the science fair do not deter him. Maybe the results could be published in one of the Newsletter's, or in the AC kid's newsletters - he really deserves to feel GREAT about what he did. Is there anything we can do to help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:33 pm 

Hi, this is Nick. This project did start out as a science fair experiment, but turned out a whole lot better. I not only have made an impact with my class, but I have met many new people, and am now volunteering for the AAIA. THANK YOU to AL and the AAIA for publishing my results as this is opening many different doors for me. I am planning to speak to schools about the seriousness of these allergies and I am continuing to make new teaching tools aimed at different age groups. My principal read the AL article, said it was GREAT and that I should continue my efforts. I talked to my science teacher and he was really just looking for simple experiments, nothing as complex as what I did (maybe a medical journal is interested?) :wink: Thanks, Nick :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:10 pm 

Nick & Michelle,

My daughter, who is in high school, is going on a field trip to Niagara Falls. They will have several stops, one is the power station, another is a winery, but the two that I don't believe is an ice cream parlour and a fudge shop!!!! :roll:

I have mentioned to the teacher that it is not a great idea as she is allergic to peanuts, but they are planning to go anyway. Guess what? My daughter will have to wait outside and watch everybody eat ice cream and fudge she can't have! This is supposed to teach them about the economy of the region, tourism, etc. Couldn't they go to Ripley's Believe it or Not instead? :lol:

Well, after reading your story, I think I will fight this a bit more and go to the principal if I have to. The school is in Halton region, which has a great anaphylaxis protocol and I already talked to the principal about another issue. He is very understanding and I will see to it that this is corrected.

Thank you for inspiring me. I won't sit back and let my daughter be excluded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:21 pm 

You could also mention that with childhood obesity becoming such a problem, perhaps they don't need the extra ice cream and fudge....

I hope you succeed, Nicole.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:24 pm 

Hi Nicole. Through our experience with Nick at school, we found the kids are the easiest to 'reach', so to speak. The adults will label him as 'fussy', or 'hard to work with'. They just don't understand the seriousness of these allergies. For your daughter, the child in her class who chooses to eat the peanut butter ice cream (or the vanilla that is beside the maple walnut and scooped out with the same scoop), and then goes back on the bus and sits beside your daughter is putting your daughter at risk (as she passes her a book with her unwashed hands). Sabrina's law includes the school's responsibility to reduce exposure to allergens - going to a fudge shop isn't exactly following this! You have every right to fight. Accommodations need to be made for the student in a wheelchair - they also need to be made for the student with life threatening allergies. Good luck! If you dont get anywhere with the school, maybe appeal to her friends - perhaps a student organized boycott of these shops? Let us know how you make out, Sincerely Michelle.

Post subject: schools
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:03 pm 

What does that mean. It is to be interpeted as ana. to all 'Tree Nuts/ re; anaphylactic to all tree& ground nuts. What are ground nuts,? Does the person mean 'Tree Nuts'?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:19 pm 

Well, this is what the teacher proposed. She will bring Wet Ones and hand one to everyone before they get on the bus. She left me a message so I couldn't discuss it with her. I did phone her back and left her a message stating that I also want her to tell kids not to select ice cream and fudge flavours that have peanuts or nuts, and not to eat on the bus. I will send another epipen along with my daughter and she will have her cell phone. I also stated that I felt that those activities excluded my daughter and that it wasn't fair.

I am not that thrilled about the fact that they are still going, apparently they make that trip every year and include these stops. It's not like it's etched in stone. I don't like their lack of flexibility. If I find out that these measures were not observed, I will speak to the principal as I don't think that this teacher really gets it! This is the same teacher who's organising the trip to France (see other thread). Well, it made our decision less agonizing. I told my daughter that I trust her but that I don't trust this teacher. We will find another opportunity to go to France. Too bad it's not her English teacher, who herlself has mutliple food allergies and therefore understands!

What's worse is that my child will probably have this teacher for the next 2 or 3 years.
:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:38 pm 

I'm so sorry Nicole. I hope that the trip is a fun one nonetheless...

Wish I knew what to say, really. It's so frustrating when people don't get it and don't try to accommodate a bit. It's not like visiting a fudge shop or an ice cream parlour is a learning opportunity in and of itself....

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:26 am 

FYI, the field trip went very well, the students were warned before hands not to buy anything with nuts or peanuts and they respected that, despite the fact that there was about 10 flavours of fudge with peanuts or peanut butter or Reese's pieces alone! Kids bought other flavours like chocolate, vanilla and mint. So, my speaking up didn't go unnoticed!

My daughter was a bit upset she couldn't have the ice cream, she said it looked so good! Oh well, when she came home, there was a nice home made pie from my MIL, whose paranoia I appreciate for once in my life: she opened a fresh tub of margarine to make the pie, to make sure it wasn't cross-contaminated!

The mom of one of my daughter's friends packed her a p.b. sandwich for lunch and the friend went to eat it away from my dd, then went to the washroom to rinse her mouth thoroughly and wash her hands carefully.

You're right, Michelle, kids get it more than adults! Their generation is growing up with peanut free schools and warnings about contamination, etc., so they are generally more aware.

The only friend of my daughter's who doesn't get it is from Colombia and has only been here for 3 years. As food allergies are rather rare in her country, she doesn't understand all the fuss. She thinks it's psychological. Oh well, I will be looking for an article to print out for her that hopefully will explain the severity of the allergy.

Thanks for all your support, guys!

Post subject: subject
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:15 pm 

Always best to err on the side of caution. You made the right decisions. Cuddos to You.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:13 pm 

Nicole wrote:
The only friend of my daughter's who doesn't get it is from Colombia and has only been here for 3 years. As food allergies are rather rare in her country, she doesn't understand all the fuss. She thinks it's psychological. Oh well, I will be looking for an article to print out for her that hopefully will explain the severity of the allergy.

Nicole - do you think reading some of the personal teen stories at http://www.faanteen.org/personalstories/ would get the message through to your daughter's friend from Colombia? Might be something to hear about some of the reactions that they have had.... (Just one note: there is one story that does not have a happy ending. :( )

Food Allergy 101 (http://www.faanteen.org/foodallergy101/) also looks interesting.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:02 pm 

Thanks Karen, I printed out a few Web articles, some from the site you recommended, for my daughter's friend.

Hopefully she will see the light :idea: !!