Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:15 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
School officials are bringing in a doctor who has expertise in nut allergies as both a physician and a father.

At 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Dr. Michael Pistiner will host a public forum at Oak Ridge School about severe food allergies. Pistiner is a Leominster-based allergist and clinical instructor at Children's Hospital Boston, where he also volunteers, helping children and their families cope with food allergies.

The forum will conclude a day of meetings between Pistiner and everyone from administrators and nurses to custodians and bus drivers at the school.

Oak Ridge implemented an emergency nut ban last month after students with severe allergies got sick in school.

The ban set off a divisive debate that even had school board members squabbling over students' rights to peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwiches.

On Wednesday night, school officials said they would reconsider the ban after Pistiner's visit.

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs. ... -1/newsmap

On the one hand, I'm glad that they are educating the school community on severe food allergies but at the same time, the principal is in charge of creating school policies and this should not be open to debate.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:20 pm 
Site Admin

I find this part disturbing:

Quote:
Meanwhile, board member Jessica Linehan said imposing the emergency ban has been difficult on the families of the children involved.

"It puts an unfair spotlight on their children, and all of a sudden it becomes their fault that you can't bring peanut butter to school," she said.

I hate it when the allergic kids - and in this case ones who've had reactions - have to bear the burden of being peanut-butter killjoys. It's unfair on many levels, and that should be obvious to the adults.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:46 am 
Site Admin

Yes, that was my concern as well. The principal should create a school policy that is based on facts and takes it's direction from the school boards vision.

He/she can then hold an educational workshop explaining what and how the policy is to take place. This should not be up for debate. Does a pilot ask a flight attendant or passenger for directions? The Principal steers the school, that is what the job is.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:50 am 

I constantly wonder, if the school explained the situation to students then was to ask these students (PRIOR to dealing with parents) would the children have any issue with not bringing pb&j to school??
I find it is the parents who seem to have the 'problem' with not sending certain foods to school. I really really wonder how many kids would care either way. Instead of making the children aware of each others situations, be it health issues or cognitive issues some parents/school boards instead choose to pit children against children. How is this any better than racism and intolerance?? I find this all very disturbing. Whatever happened to teaching empathy and teaching children to be advocates for each other.
I have to say we are more than fortunate with our daughter's school. We switched her in October knowing there was no way our son (even though it is a couple years away) could be safe in her old school. This new school's principal is the leading force in encouraging consideration of other's regardless of their differences or issues (allergies etc.). We have teacher supervised lunches, no food items allowed for birthday treats, they clean desks after eating, the school is scent free, nut free and peanut free...including ingredients. Halloween was a NO food treat day at school, instead classes make crafts and have fun activities. I asked the principal once how she does this without parents balking at the 'rules' (our old school informed me such policy would not be fare to ask of student/parents). This principal let me know that it has been this way for so long it isn't even an issue. She said her grown children as so aware of allergies they choose not to eat peanut butter etc. if they are going out that day out of habit and consederation for others they may encounter during their day.

I feel so badly for the families in question in the above article. It is once again suggesting we choose to live like this and that keeping our children safe is a burden for them and up for debate.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish