You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Wanting opinions
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:08 pm 

My 4 yr old (youngest) is allergic to peanuts. Thus, we have no peanut product in my house. We do, however, have peabutter, which my older children like. I don't give it to the youngest, as I do not want him to ever confuse the peabutter with the real thing.
My question for opinion - My 12 yr old would like to take peabutter & banana sandwiches to school for lunch. All my boys (4)(different ages) have peanut allergic children in their classes, and I am fairly comfortable with the policies at the school. I am worried about reaction from other (allergic) parents. Opinions? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:44 pm 

My four year old is also allergic to peanuts. I have pea butter in the house but I am the only one who eats it. I do not want her to be out somewhere, mistake real peanut butter for pea butter and eat it.

Even though pea butter is safe for your sons to eat around the other peanut allergic kids...I do not think that it is a good idea to allow it in the school if it is a mystery what it is...or left up to parents to be honest about the contents of a sandwhich. It is too hard to tell it apart from the real thing, and if it is allowed...you just know that some parents would sneak in peanutbutter and pass it off as pea butter.

However, your sons could take it to school in the original container, and spread it on once at school...so the teachers knew what it was. That would be better than sending a mystery sandwhich prepared at home. I would ask the other allergic parents if they were okay with it coming first, and definitely let them know that it will be send in its original unopened container. Because you just know that someone would do this too...send it in an unopened, sealed, new container to be left at school, to be used on another day...because some jerk parent out there would stick the real thing in a pea butter container if it meant that their kid could have peanut butter at school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:13 pm 

My 2 children (6 and 3 yrs old) do not attend the same school; however, both their schools do not allow pea-butter in the school - probably for the reasons saskmommy has pointed out. I also wanted to mention that some peanut allergic children are allergic to other legumes - my 3 year old son is one of them. He is allergic to green peas as well as peanut butter, therefore, having pea-butter around him would be concerning for us. Having said this, you should check with the school your children are attending to determine whether or not this is acceptable. Some of the children in the class may think it's peanut butter, and that could be quite scary if they began to think it was now acceptable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:35 pm 

I also would not send the peabutter, for the reasons mentioned above. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:37 am 
Site Admin

Ditto.
I once sent our daughter to school with her 'fake' cheese as a snack and then realized that some child might mention it to their parents "Why does she get to bring cheese and I can't?".
It could really confuse the issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:01 pm 

I have given it some more thought, and I do not think that it is a good idea, even in a new, labeled container because...

If peabutter was allowed in schools, some kid out there would find it funny to bully the peanut allergic kids with it. You just know that someone would shove it in the face of a peanut allergic child, or smear it on their desk or locker to be "funny". I really think that no good can come from allowing it in the schools. It would be quite scary for a peanut allergic child to be surrounded by other kids with peabutter.

I would compare it to allowing toy guns in school...they won't hurt you...but you never really know what it is...and when you see the real thing... you don't recognize it as a threat to your life.

I do however think that it is a great alternative breakfast, to eat at home before school, for kids who attend school with nut allergic kids.

Post subject: opinions
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:12 pm 

Thank you for your input - I have been telling him no - but he is 12 and the kids eat in their respective classrooms, thus he would have the allergic child in his class, who is also 12 and should be responsible enough for their own eating habits. Which is the valid arguement that he put forward. Unfortunately, even though my child is being thoughtful and responsible and assuming that the allergic child is also responsible, we cannot allow that the other 25+ kids will be also. I will continue to tell him no - but am careful to acknowledge that he is being considerate to his fellow allergic student.
Thanks again, and happy holidays to all,
Buzimom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:25 am 

At that age, I would speak to the school, or the parents if you know them.

I have an extremely fussy 7 year old, and I was considering sending peabutter sandwiches to school for him. He needs more protein and fibre in his diet and I thought that would help. I did speak to the school (there is a peanut/nut ban) and it was looking like it would be OK. However, my 7 year old doesn't like peabutter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:02 pm 

I wonder if we could ask the makers of peabutter to differentiate it in some way (color it?) so that it doesn't look like peanut butter. It seems a shame to have a safe alternative to offer the die-hard-must-eat-peanut-butter-sandwiches-at-school-its-my-right types and then not be able to use it because of confusion and fear.

I bet they (peabutter makers) do not know that we feel this way. They would not have had to deal with the die-hard-must-eat... types and would not realize how strongly they feel that asking them to not bring peanut butter is a violation of their human rights. (it's almost like gun control!)

I think we need to push the physical aspect of anaphylaxis. Most people don't understand why the body would react to peanut (or whatever milk, eggs,) that way. I find that if I explain about IgE and leaky blood vessels and what happens, I get more compliance. But if I just ask them not to bring peanut butter, they don't really believe that it is serious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:07 pm 

Good point. anaphylaxis might not register. leaky blood vessels sound downright scary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:59 pm 

What about asking the makers of peabutter for individual one use size containers, much like you find peanut butter and jam in in restaurants? And yes I think it is a good idea if they could color it,... bright purple...kids would think that is cool anyways. This would help to identify it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:13 pm 

I just e-mailed peabutter and requested purple peabutter in individual, labelled single serving size containers.