You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Drygrad Food
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:14 pm 

Sorry but I may rant a bit. I am so frustrated with the woman who appointed herself chair of the drygrad food committee. This is an all night long event of games and activities after graduation ceremonies so that students will have safer celebrations. Unfortunately the safety considerations did not extend to our allergic students.

I made sure I volunteered to be on the food committee as well as decorating. I sent several emails to the chair well before there were any meetings to discuss how we could make this an inclusive and safe event for everyone. No response so I contacted the chair of the Drygrad. Eventually a meeting was held at a local noisy pub (ideal spot for drygrad meeting). I brought up the fact that there are half a dozen grads with severe allergies to peanuts and nuts so we should avoid items containing them just as the teachers and administration had done for the grad sleepover. I was initially met with a response that the students were old enough to make safe choices. This can only be done if they know what is in their food. When the meeting ended it appeared that the committee had conceeded to choosing foods that did not contain peanuts and nuts. I was to find Chapman's thermal cups. others were to price burgers, buns, relishes. There was nothing listed to be worrisome.
The next meeting was preceded by scolding emails that people were not handing in their prices (only I had done this). I asked for her list, went shopping and submitted prices for safe items for all of the other items. I did not attend this meeting as I had a conflict and had done my job.
No updates. No communication. Turns out I was removed from the committee because I was just there for the "peanut thing" and was also on another committee. The letter asking for donated food items suddenly was altered to no longer ask for non-peanut items.
I decided to contact her and play a diplomatic card. i thanked her for choosing non-peanut/nut foods as none were listed on the food list I had priced for her. Her response was that this was not the case but that she would supply Options. Didn't I remembert that. Here we go full circle. I responded that this was not okay, I would gladly purchase safe alternatives for her. I had already indicated safe chocolate bars, safe frozen yogurt bars, brands, where to find and offered to do the running. I also asked where the designated spot was for medical emergencies, where students could keep there epipens and if all of the volunteers had been made aware of the signs and symptoms of anphlyaxis.
I sent the same questions to the drygrad chairs along with information about symptoms and response.
A flustered response from the food chair complaining about this coming at short notice (I started trying to communicate with her in November) was accompanied with a request for a list of safe chocolate bars and granola bars. She still was only planning to have options which meant left to her pwn ends she intended to have the peanut items there too. When I let her know that I was in communication with the pricipal she backed down a bit.
I ran out and purchased her granola bars and peanut/nut-free chocolate bars staying in the budget she indicated. She used the granola bars but refused to put out any of the chocolate bars (which I had to return) because they were not the small size. She had not asked for these.
She also did not buy the Chapman's complaining they were too expensive.
She did not bother to buy the safe frozen yogurt that I had told her the brand and where to find but had told the volunteers that what she had was for the allergic kids. When my daughter and her friend came looking for the one thing that should have been ok to have, they saw that they were not the brand. My daughter came to tell me. I checked the box and showed the bold warnings of peanuts and nuts to the volunteer who was telling kids these were safe. She was horrified. The food chair brushed this off when it was pointed out to her.
Bottom line. The only safe food at this all night event were the granola bars I bought and the food I packed and kept in my bag for my daughter.
Always plan for people not to get it. Even by grad there will still be a need to take your own food and not leave it to others.

Post subject: Re: Drygrad Food
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

Cathie, I don't blame you for ranting - sounds like you really tried hard here to keep things peanut-free, but without imposing unduly.

I'm sorry this one didn't come together for your daughter. I hope she enjoyed herself all the same.
It shouldn't be this hard. I do find, however, that "committees" are always troublesome when it comes to food allergies. Someone's almost bound to goof up on the food rules (unless it's an allergy mom in charge).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:22 am 
Site Admin

Oh my!
I'm so glad that your daughter had her back up food. It just goes to show that while you can be involved in the planning, you still need to be alert for problems. I hope your daughter was able to enjoy her evening dispite the food issues.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:13 pm 

We do not expect others to be educated about our allergies so we offer to do the work. So why when we offer to do the shopping to ensure the food is safe we aren't taken up on this offer??