You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Staying in touch
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:46 pm 

Talk about obsessive, but I always have gone straight home after dropping my daughter off at school, so that I was always near the phone. I did not have a cell...and wondered if I really needed one. A lot of days it would be handy to run somewhere quick with my younger daughter, or plan her doctors appointments for while her sister was at school. I always wanted to be within reach incase of any emergancy or any question the school might have.

I also HATED leaving the kids even for an hour with my mom so I could do something.

My husband got me a cell phone for christmas. A much needed cell phone I might add, because I even hesitated walking with the kids to the park without a way to call the ambulance...I always drove...a block away.

This definitely gives me some much needed freedom, without comprimising safety. Now, I can plan for my younger daughter to attend gymnastics in the fall during my oldest daughters school hours without being neglectful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

That's great. Cellphones are very liberating for parents of allergic children.

A friend got one for her allergic teenage daughter, and she has one too. So the friend knows the daughter can reach her at all times. This is great for peace of mind as the girl (who's 13) is on sports teams/involved in other after-school activities. The daughter has been really good about not racking up the phone charges with friends.

As an allergic adult, I also always take mine along.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:59 pm 

I don't have a cellphone, but I really ought to get one. I *was* thinking of spending some Christmas money on one, but I already spent it all on something else.

That reminds me, I had been meaning to post the following link:

http://www.elloqor.com/services.htm

With one touch of a cellphone button, the company elloquor contacts emergency services + relays medical information + info. about the person's location. The system is designed for schools and for families.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:59 pm 

Wow!!! That looks awesome!!!

I got some christmas money from my mom. I already spent it. I tend to be a "save it" kind of girl so the fact that I have spent it already is quite out of character for me. I bought a kitchen aid stand mixer ( I actually do not have one yet, even though I could use one almost every day). It is pink, and a limited edition one that donates $100 to breast cancer research for each sale. I also bought medic alert bracelets for both my daughters. I think that was money well spent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:50 pm 

Those sound like good ways to spend Xmas money. I'm going to be a fan of kitchen appliances if I ever have enough counter space because I tend to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. I'd even like to get a machine to grind flour. I ended up buying a new laptop....my old laptop is old (6 years), the screen is getting dim, and it crashes frequently (not enough memory).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:41 am 

I receive many emails from well meaning friends that tend to be false so I always double check their Authenticity. (more than half are false)

I found this one very interesting:

Quote:
'In Case of Emergency' (ICE) Campaign

Netlore Archive: Email flier touts a new personal safety campaign called 'ICE,' or 'In Case of Emergency,' consisting of storing a special emergency contact number in your cell phone

Description: Email flier
Circulating since: July 2005
Analysis: See below

Email example contributed by Tony T., 17 July 2005:
In case of emergency : ICE

Paramedics will turn to a victim's cell phone for clues to that person's identity. You can make their job much easier with a simple idea that they are trying to get everyone to adopt: ICE.

ICE stands for In Case of Emergency. If you add an entry in the contacts list in your cell phone under ICE, with the name and phone no. of the person that the emergency services should call on your behalf, you can save them a lot of time and have your loved ones contacted quickly. It only takes a few moments of your time to do.

Paramedics know what ICE means and they look for it immediately. ICE your cell phone NOW!

Please pass this one along

Email example contributed anonymously, 11 July 2005:

Following the disaster in London . . .

East Anglian Ambulance Service have launched a national "In case of Emergency ( ICE ) " campaign with the support of Falklands war hero Simon Weston.

The idea is that you store the word " I C E " in your mobile phone address book, and against it enter the number of the person you would want to be contacted "In Case of Emergency".

In an emergency situation ambulance and hospital staff will then be able to quickly find out who your next of kin are and be able to contact them. It's so simple that everyone can do it. Please do.

Please will you also email this to everybody in your address book, it won't take too many 'forwards' before everybody will know about this. It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest.

For more than one contact name ICE1, ICE2, ICE3 etc.

Comments: True. The idea of entering the acronym "ICE" — "In Case of Emergency" — beside the numbers of people one wants to identify as next of kin in one's cell phone contact list was first suggested in 2004 by Bob Brotchie of the East Anglian Ambulance service. In April 2005, a National "ICE" Awareness Campaign was launched in the U.K. by mobile phone service provider Vodafone with the endorsement of Falklands War hero Simon Weston, and the movement reached critical mass in the wake of the July 7, 2005 terrorist bombings in London. The idea is now beginning to catch on in other countries, including the U.S.A. (as reported in the Washington Post).

'ICE' Campaign Targeted in Virus Hoax: False warnings are circulating which claim that adding "ICE" entries to one's cell phone make it vulnerable to a virus attack or hidden charges. Experts say these warnings should be ignored.

After verifying the info I too have entered ICE on my cell phone. I often go to the park with the kids without any id.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:48 pm 

That's interesting. More info here:

http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/icephone.asp

And other cell phone info that may be of use:

http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/celltheft.asp

This site http://www.snopes2.com is a good tool to verify the contents of email messages that provide info and advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:50 pm 

I have my number listed under HOME. The advantage is, I can lock my phone and the only numbers anyone can call from it is HOME or 9-1-1 (which is available on all locked phones).

Regarding not carrying ID - I always carry my health card and my son's health card. I know a hospital would treat us in an emergency, but it's just faster if you have everything available. I also try to always have change for a pay phone and cab fare to get home from a hospital.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:58 pm 

I just looked at snopes as well. :)

I wanted to mention something here. The first time I saw a post about ICE it was quickly followed by a warning about people somehow making charges to you phone through it. That part is a hoax. It is safe to put ICE as a contact in your phone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:20 pm 

I go to the park with no id but my kids always have their epi-pen pouch with them with their hospital cards. They also wear medical bracelets. I have 4 children so most of the time I end up being their mobile coat rack. besides if I don't bring my wallet or any money with me then I can't buy them anything.

I am in no way saying that ICE is the safest method etc. I just look at it as hey it doesn't cost anything, no one else gets the info unless necessary and it's not risky so why not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:21 pm 

We were not going to buy my 14 year old a cell phone, just so she could be like everybody else, but since she developed the allergy, it's not a luxury anymore, it has the potential to save her life. She wants to be independent and go to the mall with friends, movies, etc., and it buys me a little peace of mind: 911 at her fingertips.

And, for her, this is one positive side to this whole nasty story: she finally got her pink cell phone! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:31 pm 

So funny that this topic has surfaced again - I just programmed my cellphone with 3 ICE numbers. Along with my husband and home I included a very plugged-in friend who is never without a cellphone AND pager.

I figured that at times no one might be at home, and my husband could be the one with me lying on the road unconscious. :lol: (Did I mention that I have a tendency to be morbid?)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:32 pm 

Nicole wrote:
And, for her, this is one positive side to this whole nasty story: she finally got her pink cell phone! :D

Nicole - I love hearing "silver lining" stories. I'm glad your daughter got something positive out of all this!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:41 pm 

Hey Karen, you have to adapt to their age level, seeing as she's a bit too old to be "Epi-Woman"!!! :lol:

When she's 16, I can just hear it now, it will be a car.... :roll: