* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:21 am 

caz you said
Quote:
the school nurse always needs to look at any itches he has

Can you tell me what province you are in and more about the school nurse? We don't have nurses in our schools here in Alberta.

Thanking you in advance
Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:24 am 

michele-I am in australia-we are lucky enough at our primary school to employ an ex ICU nurse as school nurse-very handy=most are only lucky enough to have someone trained in first aide,.

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:00 am 

Before my kids had any allergies, I got a phone call from my sons kindergarten teacher because he ate some of the Fruit Loops that he was supposed to count to 100 with. He had never eaten/seen them before and was expected to count them, then put them away so that a child in the afternoon class could use them to count too. It was so gross!!

It really bugs me that teachers use food, and such poor food choices, in the classroom for experiments, crafts and everything else. Can't they see the temptation, danger, and obesity within their class?

Last year we had a teacher who just didn't get the food in the classroom and allergies problem. When I brought it up she said she always used food in the class for demonstration and interest. There was always food in the class, birthdays, parties, cooking, and everything else. My daughter came home twice with hives because she ate the food the teacher felt was safe. (I like the idea of a nurse looking at the itchy arm, maybe the principal would like to take on that roll at our school). After I spoke to the principal and explained how dangerous this was the teacher changed her attitude and was extremely cautious, phoning me every time there was a possibility of food in the class. This was a big improvement, but there still was always food in the class. This year her teacher has a milk allergy. He told the parents that kids will bring in their own food and no-one will share food even on special occasions. This rule is specific to his class and is meant to keep his students safe. It's such a relief.

Last year was a lot of work; worrying, talking to the teacher, talking to the principal, talking to the bus driver, talking to my daughter, teaching her not to trust her teacher and did I mention worrying. This year seems so easy. I wish the school would change their food policies. (I'd better start writing letters).

I hope your teacher will smarten up and keep your child safe in the future and have empathy for all the extra thinking and worry your child has. I don't think people get it until it impacts their life directly.

me: none

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:33 am 
Site Admin

I don't think this teacher will smarten up, she is very defensive. She lays all blame on the child. On Tuesday, she promised dd that she could have her good friend (who'd been away 2 weeks and just got back that day) come to her class and sit with her for lunch as a special treat for being the ONLY one who behaved at one point. :roll:

Wednesday lunch came and went with no sign of the friend. I put a note in the agenda asking the teacher to talk to dd about Wednesday lunch and dd was told that it was her job to remind the teacher... :verymad

Don't promise what you won't deliver on! Raising your hand and reminding the teacher of your special reward is up there with reminding her to give out homework. Not how one wins friends and influences others.

Of issue as well is why this teacher finds it so hard to control her class.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb