You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:10 pm 

I'm hyperventilating. Just picked DS up for lunch and he told me that they had candy canes in class. They were given out after a visit to the prinicpals office, and then they went back and ate them. I asked if he was told they were not free by his teacher (who is very good about that stuff, keeps me informed etc..), and he said no, but they were safe since they were from the office. I just called the office, and although they are 'Allens' the secretary can't find a peanut free logo. She did read the ingredients, but couldn't find allergy info.

I'm so mad at everyone, including DS, which may not be fair. I have told him repeatedly not to eat ANYTHING without my permission. He kept saying 'I don't take anything new, I've had candy canes before' ' they were from the principal'. etc etc...

Just last week there was a popcorn party in his class, and I provided individual Kernels bags for everyone. The teacher likes to have jellybeans to give out occasionally, so I supply the whole class with Dare safe ones. I don'[t mind doing those things at all, but I get furious when stuff like this happens, esp since I am so involved and they KNOW that.

Last edited by Becky on Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:47 pm 
Site Admin

I would be furious, too! :verymad

Don't be too hard on your son. :huggy He's only 5, the candy looked tempting I'm sure and he probably thinks that the office communicates with you. Tell him that the school tries hard to keep him safe, but that when there are special things happening like Christmas etc., there is more of a chance that something might go wrong.

If he is offered something, he should ask if you have checked that it's OK (every time!) and, if you havn't checked it, they call you and check it over the phone and he might still be able to have it! This way, he isn't refusing to take what the office is offering him. Refusing can be intimidating to a child who is 1/3 the size of the adult.

Those adults should know better and shouldn't put a child in a situation like this. I know this because my daughter went through the same kind of thing when she was 5.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:11 pm 

Mine too. It is so hard for them to say no to any adult, let alone a teacher or principal. All of the holidays are so scary when they are young. :huggy to you and him too. Becky, please check your school policy..administrative guideline, whatever. Do they have annual training and who does it? Can you go to the next one? Ours only had them when I insisted and it was me doing the training, something I was not comfortable with and would ask for a public nurse to come as well for back up. Although it was still me talking I liked it when that nurse would nod and agree, (no policy)and now I don't know what they do for an in-service and since they now have the e-module,well ??? I would like to see it too. I see you are in Alberta and many schools don't have a lot of knowledge or experience when it comes to allergies.

I so get how you feel. :frightened :freak :verymad

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:24 pm 

Becky I would feel the same. At 5 he is only just learning 'don't ever eat food that isn't from Mom and Dad'. To have authority figure give him food really will confuse him. I would be livid, even if it turned out to be safe it is the principal of it all, why not just call you at home.
How does the office know the candy canes are safe? What if DS was recently diagnosed with a new allergy? What about DON'T ever feed an allergic child, the school can't change the rules just because it was 'just' a candy cane.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:52 pm 

Thanks for all of your support and understanding, I really appreciate it. Sorry for misleading you though, I finally updated my signature - DS is 7 and in gr 1.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:39 pm 

Becky wrote:
I finally updated my signature - DS is 7 and in gr 1.

Still very young and like the others say-its from the principals office! I too would be furious-its the whole prinicple-whether the canes are safe or not-the fact is,theyve given them without your permission and havent checked them properly.

Ive made a point now of making my son hand them back to the teacher and say 'you might have forgotten that Im allergic to lots of things and that Im not allowed to have this or bring this home' -if the teacher tells him to take it home to get me to check it I tell him to say no thanks and put it in the bin if the teacher wont take it. I then give him something extra special when he gets home so there is a great incentive for not taking whats on offer at school.

Ive had so many things sent home with him over the last 2 weeks with xmas coming up and everyone bringing in their xmas cheer to share-Ive had enough!

good luck!

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:04 am 

Thanks for your messages, I really appreciate the support. I was chatting with a friend yesterday (online) who said that I was 'on the extreme side' when it came to DSs allergies, and that her kids have allergic friends who can eat whatever (bread, cookies, candies etc...) as long as they don't ACTUALLY have nuts in them.

I really think the lax parents make the rest of us look crazy, and they are the ones playing russian roulette with grocery store cakes etc..

DH talked to the teacher last night who apologized, and didn't realize he had taken one and eaten it, that she would have told him not to/gotten something out of his treat bag (I have all kinds of stuff for him in a special bag in the class).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:15 am 

People always tell me they've never heard of such 'extreme' allergies as our DS's. I don't know about you but anaphylaxis is anaphylaxis - If you have a 'true' allergy!! There are so many people throwing around the word allergy that it does make the rest of us look neurotic.

Glad DH talked to the teacher. How did DS end up getting the candy cane from the office without her knowing??? Glad it was a learning experience with a happy ending. :huggy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:47 pm 
Site Admin

Extreme? There is no such thing as a little dead!

"...her kids have allergic friends who can eat whatever (bread, cookies, candies etc...) as long as they don't ACTUALLY have nuts in them."
Yeah, right! :roll: Let's play Russian Roulette with our children... I hope that person knows how to administer an epipen because if those kids have a true allergy, she's going to have to use it sooner or later!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:33 pm 

UPDATE!!!!

Today was Christmas movie day, so the whole school was given bags of kernels popcorn. :banghead

Just last night when DH talked to the teacher after the concert she said they would have bear paws after the movie (and showed him the box). He explained how he was very concerned about the candy cane incident etc... and we can't have anything like it happen again.

DS went to the teacher and asked 'is this safe for me?', she read the label which said 'made in a peanut free facility' and said he could have it.

NONE of this is sitting right with me. We will have to meet with the teacher and principal and INSIST that DS not have any more food suprises. EVER. They ordered 400+ bags, this wasn't done last minute, WHY could we not have been informed????

I also plan to meet with Principals of other nearby schools to find out if these things occur there as well. I don't know why they don't understand or adhere to 'no outside food'.

:verymad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:58 am 

Not ok, Not ok!!!!! :verymad
Two days in a row.... Becky I'd march to the school today, last day or not. Either that or you will stew all holidays. If they don't have time for a meeting today give the a quick run down of how angry and concerned you are and that you will be back for a long meeting with the teacher and principal after the break. The entire Quaker situation alone should have put a scare into schools (and parents), just because a box says peanut free it doesn't mean it is. We have learned even more so the lesson to reading each individual package. Candy canes, popped corn, what's next???
For every special occasion will the teacher take it upon herself to bend (more like break) the rules?

Playing Russian roulet with your child's life is NOT a game. What if the teachers were chatting during the movie and no one noticed your son having a reaction. What is so difficult about not giving out food to an allergic child.
Your son is only 7, in grade 1 they idolize their teacher, believe everything their teacher says, if she keeps saying it is ok to eat food from her without it being ok'd by you this is sending very confusing signals to the poor kid. It sounds like he did try to follow your rules - but the teacher needs to encourage him follow the rules. How is he ever going to feel confident to say no. She should have commended him when he approached her, taken his hand, said they will go to the office and call mommy together to see if he could have popped corn or a treat from his special bin.

AAAAAAA :frightened :banghead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:32 am 

Thanks for your understanding. DH is going to do the school drop off, and talk to the teacher & principal.

Neither event involved the teacher giving him food, the candy cane was given by the principal, and the popcorn was given to him in the gym by a classroom assistant (university student), the teacher didn't go to the gym with them. He said he went to ask her, but it's no clear at what point.

I plan to talk to parents of ana kids in other schools, to see if they have a different approach. I'm so sick of this.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:55 am 

Quote:
the candy cane was given by the principal, and the popcorn was given to him in the gym by a classroom assistant (university student),

That would worry me even more than if the teacher gave it. That means there is no communication (or training) given to those helping out. Substitute teachers, student teachers, parent helpers, older grades helping out, everyone needs to know and follow the same rules. And if the rule is 'no food other than from mom and dad' it really shouldn't be that hard to follow.

If your son's teacher knew they were going to the gym to eat popped corn she should have sent your son WITH his safe snack in the first place. :|

You know what the real shame of this is. Both snacks (Allan Candy Canes and the popped corn) were in fact safe. If the school had made an ordeal of calling you with your son present, saying they knew they had to check with mom and dad first...read the ingredients over the phone...have you ok it on the phone to your son that mom says they are safe and they could give him the treats. He could have been included while reinforcing his safety rules.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:22 am 

Yes, that is the sad/ironic part. Thank heavens both were safe (although the secretary couldn't find the peanut free logo on the candy cane package, but she was just looking at the ingredients list... :banghead ), and it would have been a great opportunity to do things the right way. Even if they hadn't called, but made a BIG DEAL to DS and showed him the logo etc..I would feel better about it (not great, but much better).

I found the anaphylaxis policies online, and both events were in violation of the policies: reducing the risk of contact with the causative agent; reduce or limit the risks associated with these conditions.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:32 am 
Site Admin

It is not up to the school secretary, principal, teacher etc to decipher ingredient labels and make what is a life or death decision for your child! :verymad

1. Labels are not clear - there is no legislation regarding precautionary labelling.
2. Labels are not clear - For someone without proper training and regular practice, there are far too many names for each of the priority allergens to be sure they will recognise your childs allergens.
3. It is not their call!

Is there anyway that you can keep your child home until you've had a meeting with the principal and teacher? Follow up with a letter of understanding and cc it to the superintendant.