You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:51 pm 

I was given this idea by the mother of a girl with allergies in grade 4 at the school my daughter will attend next year for kindergarten. Thank goodness that they have paved the way for my family. When her daughter was in young grades where snack was served, the mother collected $5/month from all parents and used the money for snacks for the whole class. The mother then bought fruit, and other snacks and sent enough snack for the entire class to school with her daughter each morning. Her daughters snack was always in a seperate container, so it was not handled by anyone.

She said that the whole thing went over really well with other parents. Most parents were more than willing to give up "make snack for my child to take to school each day" from their morning routine. This way, there were no snacks to worry about.

The teacher was then, quite aware that this mom was to be involved in food decisions, and kept an open line of communication between the mom and subs and other adults in the class. If there was a sub, the mom would drop off the snack, and have a great opportunity to inform the teacher that no other food in the class was safe for her daughter to consume.

I am going to suggest to the school that I do this next year, it seems like a lot of work, but it will be well worth the effort to eliminate a lot of the risk and worry. Then, they should realize my level of commitment to helping provide a safe environment as well. Once grade one hits, there is no snack in the class, and I can bring her home for lunch. At that point my younger one will be in preschool ( she is not going next year, we will wait until she is 4 1/2 ), and I can do it for her for preschool and kindergarten as well. A big commitment on my part, but not as big as homeschooling. :wink: