Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: educational assistant
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:23 pm 

Quote:
Exceptional Student: According to Ontario law (the Education Act), an exceptional student is a student who has been formally identified by an Identification and Placement Review Committee (IPRC). An exceptional student has significant needs in the areas of behaviour, communication, intellectual, physical or multiple disability and meets the provincial and school board criteria for identification. A student who has been identified as 'exceptional' must be provided with the supports and services required to meet the exceptional needs. In addition, an Individual Education Plan must be developed for the student within 30 days of identification at an IPRC.

Walooet, as a teacher have you ever heard of an EA for a young child with ana. allergies?

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Last edited by BC2007 on Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:25 pm 

A post I made on a different thread:

Quote:
The teachers have so much going on that it is not feasible, in my opinion, for them to watch for reactions especially if delayed -

Exactly my fear!

Quote:

I feel like I need to be prepared to fight for my daughter. She has as much right to be safe in a classroom as kids with other protected allergies (peanuts are banned)

I feel the same way. Ds's allergies go above what is protected (pn/tn's) which freaks me out. Also it is hard for people to believe as with you that oddball allergies are equally sever as a peanut allergy. I know this is an issue also for all you dealing with milk allergies, it is in the classroom every day in almost every lunch. :|

I am having a nervous breakdown the past month as Jr.K creeps closer. I have no idea what to do. Due to the fact that almost all foods eaten (bread, crackers, yogurt, sour cream, margarine, even some freaking cereal (kellogs frosted mini wheats) now have gelatin in them, marshmallows, gummy treats, jello, hummus even if made without tahini, and on and on and on :frightened ) will still have at least 1 of ds's allergens in it trace and cross contamination is a HUGE issue for me. DS is not aware enough of his allergies to care for himself at all yet.

I am just sick about this and the school has decided to wait until Sept. to have the meeting they said we'd have. Sure things will be fresh in their minds but I have no idea how they plan to accomodate his level of severity of allergies as well as his multiple allergies. There are many ana. kids at this school, the teachers have yearly training etc. BUT from the sounds of it many have some tolerance level to their allergens as well as most seem to be just to pn/tn which the school is pn/tn free (aware). . DS has had ana reactions to trace amounts of all his allergens, add in he has so many and his situation is very different. I know I can't ask the classroom to be free from all his allergens so that means DS being in a classroom with sticky fingers containing his allergens.
STRESSSSSSSSS!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:50 pm 

Hi BC I am a teacher and I am currently working as an EA. I have never heard of an EA for an ana student but I do know that schools can get nurses in for diabetic students. The nurse supervises eating time for that students and ensures they only eat what is sent by the parent and nothing else unless it is pre-approved by the parent. EAs are spread out and only given to those who cannot function academically or behaviorally without one. There are many students who have their doctor prescribed an EA and never get one because of shortages. EAs have no medical experience and wouldn't know how to handle an allergic reaction any better than the teacher but the nurse would so that might be your best bet. Good luck with the schools, hopefully you will have a great teacher who understands and it willing to work with you.

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:48 pm 

Thanks so much for such a great answer Sarah. That pretty much answers my question. :thanksign

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:27 pm 

BC2007 wrote:
Walooet, as a teacher have you ever heard of an EA for a young child with ana. allergies?

Not a teacher! My experience in schools is as a volunteer and as an EA - I volunteered so much that the teachers suggested I get paid for it :swing On that other thread I said that I wondered if there are/will be EAs for kids with food allergies. The criteria for getting an EA could be different in each province - honestly don't know.

Sarah388 wrote:
EAs have no medical experience and wouldn't know how to handle an allergic reaction any better than the teacher

Except when the EA's child has food allergies :lol: It is totally different where I work because I'm at an unique program in a high school - although my students with food allergies have certainly appreciated having someone that truly gets it!

Our EAs get the same annual training that the teachers do and it is a requirement that EAs have first aid training (the first level with CPR). I've only seen one student who had a full-time nurse at school and that was because the student had medical equipment that only the nurse could look after.

If there is an EA in the classroom for another student, ideally the EA could be included in any meetings about your child's food allergies because although they would not be responsible for your child, they are an extra pair of adult eyes. In many schools in our district, EAs are not included in the meetings with parents even though they may spend more time with a student than the teacher does. I've also worked with a teacher who was adamant that the EAs not talk with parents so if an EA is not receptive to talking with you it may have nothing to do with you or your child!

You could also request that an EA be in the classroom for snack time. Again, every school is different. I've seen EAs with a different child or classroom every 30 minutes and other schools where it was the same student(s) the entire year.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:04 am 

Quote:
Not a teacher! My experience in schools is as a volunteer and as an EA - I volunteered so much that the teachers suggested I get paid for it
:banana Walooet that is remarkable, thank you then for all you do for all of our kids!!! :thanksign

The thought had never crossed my mind about and EA until you mentioned it might be something to look into. Hey, it was a good idea, glad that those who truly need them have access to them. :thumbsup

I think once DS is old enough to totally grasp his allergies - that he can't share food, that he must always wash his hands and never put his fingers in his mouth I'll feel much more comfortable. I have always know there would be many of his allergens eaten in the classroom, I don't want it that way but in fairness I accept that. I know many of you on the forum have kids with ana allergies also which are still routinely in the classroom and your kids have learned to keep safe and manage (thumbs up to awesome allergy kids who take on so much responsibility so young). :thumbsup

What is freaking me out the most is that he is only barely beginning to learn about allergies. He is a fall baby as well as his speech /hearing was delayed until 2 1/2 yrs so he is very much on the baby end still. If this had been our daughter even at this age I would feel way more comfortable, independent, followed direction to a T, different child completely. I know Jr, K is not mandatory but I really would love him to go, I understand how much he'd get out of it on so many levels....yet on the flip side if I don't think he will be safe I just don't think I could send him.

I like your idea to ask for just fruit/veggies for snacks. I know that this is like pre wedding jitters and that he goes to school be it this fall or next he will love it. I also know he needs to learn to live with his allergies. With the school not wanting to meet until the fall I just feel like I am in limbo of not knowing anything. I might be worrying for nothing, but that is my point (to them also) I just don't know........I just never thought this was going to be so scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:18 am 

walooet wrote:
Our EAs get the same annual training that the teachers do and it is a requirement that EAs have first aid training (the first level with CPR).

Oh, walooet, could you please put which province you are in on the side and then I will quit asking you. I'm pretty sure we have NO requirements like that here.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:18 pm 

I know Ontario EAs do not have to have CPR and First Aid the Early Childhood Educators (ECE) in the new early learning kindergarten rooms have to have CPR and First aid and all staff is epipen and twinject trained but in my opinion the training isn't enough. We watch a video at home online and thats it. The first time I actually held a epipen was when I got my own this year. I think all teachers and EAs and anyone else who works with children should have it, I intend to keep mine up to date even though its not required once I start teaching.

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:27 pm 

alberta advocate wrote:
walooet wrote:
Our EAs get the same annual training that the teachers do and it is a requirement that EAs have first aid training (the first level with CPR).

Oh, walooet, could you please put which province you are in on the side and then I will quit asking you. I'm pretty sure we have NO requirements like that here.

That is a requirement for our district - no idea if it is for the province!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:33 pm 

[quote="BC2007] I know Jr, K is not mandatory but I really would love him to go, I understand how much he'd get out of it on so many levels....yet on the flip side if I don't think he will be safe I just don't think I could send him. [/quote]

We do not have Jr K - nursery school is optional and costs $. At the time, I was not working and money was tight so we opted not to have our younger child go to nursery school as she too is one of the youngest in her grade. I asked nursery school and Kindergarten teachers if we were making a mistake and they said that they knew she would get lots of socialization and from knowing our family they knew she would know how to share, wait her turn, be able to use scissors etc. We spent that year going to library program, hanging out with friends, etc and had lots of P.J. mornings :thumbsup It was a very special time and am really glad we did it that way. She has no allergies so it had nothing to do with that.

:swing Thank you for the compliment! I love working with students - it is very rewarding. Although I'm getting more grey hairs right now... June is crazy!