You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:01 pm 

Hi,
Wondering if anyone has any tips. I am still trying to figure out how to keep an epipen with my 5 y.o. in our cold winter (temps are almost always -15 C or much colder for several months).

We have one stored at school but I want one with him on the schoolbus where the older kids will sometimes eat.

It gets too cold in his backpack. I tried having him wearing it in an epibelt type holder (the MEC one) but found two problems: (1) gym, when he is rolling or lying on the ground and (2) he won't use the bathroom because he finds the belt hard. We are practicing belts but in the meantime, what do I do?

Is there such a thing as an epibelt that is insulated enough to protect from winter cold?

My solution is:
sew a pocket into the inside of his down jacket

I'm assuming that if the pen is stored in something like a down mitten or other insulating material in his backpack that it will still not be warm enough without body heat.

Any better ideas?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:56 pm 

That is a tough one, DS doesn't wear one either for the reasons you mentioned. Could one be kept on the bus? Of course,you'd have to find out where the bus is parked overnight.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:27 pm 
Site Admin

Loosen the belt slightly, most kids learn to move the epi the back when laying on their stomach. If the belt is slightly looser, her should be able to go to the bathroom-practice at home.

The more he wears it, the easier it gets. You can get soft sided epipen cases and a belt.
http://www.kozyepi.com/ is one example.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:54 pm 

Quote:
1) gym, when he is rolling or lying on the ground and

I was worried about the same thing so I have begun to leave DS's epi belt on when we are out no matter what he is doing. When outside I have him wear the belt around his waist under his coat. Probably not the most comfortable considering the pen is as wide as his waist but I'm hoping he will just become accustomed to having it on.
I left it on this week for a gymnastics center drop in and luckily even with the rolling and playing he didn't notice the belt was on. If it did start to bother him I have no idea what I'd do as like you, I won't always be there to hold it for him.

As Susan suggested, if you loosen the belt could he spin it so the pen part is to the back for when he needs to go to the bathroom?

Good luck finding a solution that works for your son. :huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:07 am 

Update: Well, spring is here and the epipen is back in the backpack. Really hoping to have this kid wearing the belt full time soon. I just ordered this one as it says it can withstand 800 lbs of crush force:

http://www.medicalert.ca/en/members/pro ... d=9&p=C124

I figure it will be good for what ever my 40 pound (soaking wet) soon to be 6 y.o. can throw at it. I am thinking he will be able to wear it directly around his waist (not in belt loops) so he can spin it as previous posters suggested. The neoprene ones look cozier but I wanted something he could wear skiing, or whatever he gets up to at school.

I will report back on the comfort of the new belt as I do not see any previous posts about the medic alert ones.