You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:31 pm 

Wonderful news! As a teacher and a parent of an allergic child, I have been waiting to see what support would be given to schools for the implementation of Bill 3, Sabrina's Law. Well... the school I teach at here in Cobourg received our Anaphylaxis Resource Kit this week from the ON government.

The kit contains the new consensus statement of the Canadian allergists and the allergic associations. I think it is well written - very thorough with all of the necessary medical info for schools and very practical suggestions for schools to make allergy safe environments. Apparently you can find this document at allergysafecommunities.ca This document will be a great help for parents. All medical info and safety issues for allergic students are clearly outlined. It also discusses the challenges that children face at different ages with a section about teens and anaphylaxis. It has sample policies and emergency plans. Look this up. Ask your school if they have this document. It will not only assist parents in ON but across Canada.

The kit from the ON government also contained trainers for the epipen and twinject and many posters. A web based e-learning module for schools has also been created. I am very pleased with the resource kit. Ask your ON school if they have it. Ask your board if they will change their policy to include the recommendations of the consensus statement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:47 am 
Site Admin

I was unable to access allergysafecommunities.ca . The page I got said this domain was parked. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:50 am 

Sorry about the link - hopefully it will be up soon. The document listed this web address. Perhaps your school will have its copy or your allergist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:00 pm 

Ok - here is the web address of the e-learning module that teachers will complete in ON. It is set up to help teachers learn about anaphylaxis and Sabrina's law. I haven't gone through this module yet.
www.eworkshop.on.ca/allergies
I am looking for a place where Anaphylaxis in Schools and Other Settings (the consensus statement of the Canadian allergists) is posted on the web but I have had no luck yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:56 pm 

Thanks for posting the site---I'm very impressed! Did everyone see the "facts" they list about anaphylaxis?

Quote:
There is no cure for food allergy. Avoidance of an allergenic substance is key to staying safe.

Touching an allergenic substance and transferring it to the mouth or the eyes can cause a life-threatening allergic reaction.

Ingesting a very small amount of a food can cause a severe allergic reaction.

Vapors or steam containing proteins emitted from cooking fish and shellfish have caused anaphylactic reactions.

Airborne peanut protein can cause allergic reactions, though usually not anaphylaxis.

Individuals at risk for peanut and/or tree nut allergy are often advised to avoid both due to the risk of cross-contamination. (Peanut belongs to the legume family, e.g. peas, beans, etc.)
(see http://www.eworkshop.on.ca/cfmx/edu/anaphylaxis/en/sc_3a.cfm)

Parents in Ontario won't have to go to great lengths to educate the schools now---and if people don't get it, they can refer teachers and principals to the ministry of education's website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:54 pm 

The document from the Canadian allergists, Anaphylaxis in Schools and Other Settings, is also excellent. I just went over it with my school staff tonight. All of the information we want teachers to know is there - the medical info, management info (very practical suggestions also on how to manage specific allergens), sample plans and it describes some of the social issues that come with anaphylaxis. It isn't posted anywhere yet on the web as far as I know, but schools are starting to receive it. My school got it last week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:55 am 

Our schools in York have not received it. Is there a number available / website / email address that you could provide so we can order a kit for our school ?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:36 am 

There will be a website coming soon with all of the information from Anaphylaxis In Schools and Other Settings. It will also be available to buy through Anaphylaxis Canada. The kit for schools is being distributed by the Ministry of Education and it will probably take a little more time for the kits to get to all parts of the province. The memo attached to the kit stated that it would be going to all schools in Ontario. I do not have a contact number - sorry the kit is at school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:28 pm 

The website www.allergysafecommunities.ca is now up and running. Check it out!