You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:45 pm 

So proud of my brave boy today! My 7 year-old son who has often been very shy and self-conscious about his numerous food and environmental allergies was brave enough to tell his teacher not to spray Febreeze in the classroom! When she started spraying, he pulled her aside and (in French nonetheless) told her that he is allergic to perfume and was irritated by it. She immediately stopped and they went to the washroom to splash his hands and face with cold water. She reported it to the office who called us to confirm the perfume allergy and let us know that it will not be used in the classroom any more.

Oddly, we never thought to alert the school to his scent sensitivities because the food allergies are so severe, that they just overshadow the 'relatively' minor reactions to dust, pets and perfumes. Although relatively minor compared to food allergies means that he is not anaphylactic to perfumes, but does experience almost immediate sneezing, massive mucous and tearing eyes (not pleasant). Our home is completely scent-free (I am also sensitive), so it never occurred to me that the school might spray something like Febreeze while the kids were actually in the classroom.

This is a big milestone for him and boy did we praise him for being brave enough to speak up! :D

Hubby: Allergic to deer, horse flies & bees.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:15 am 

:thumbsup That is a very big deal! Yeah!! So glad he got a good response from his teacher. Funny, I just found this poking around. http://www.casle.ca/ I will post it in the resource thread I think....but :banana :happydance and :huggy for you and yours! and in french to boot 8)

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:02 am 

Fiona. :swing :happydance :banana THAT IS WONDERFUL! I can only imagine how difficult it is for a child to confront an authority figure, even if that teacher etc. is kind and approachable. I really think the teacher acted wonderfully in this situation, not just helping him wash off but in contacting you. :thumbsup

Your son did a great job and should be very proud of himself, learning to self advocate in such a calm, direct manner also shows what a wonderful job you've done as allergy parents. :huggy I'm sure he will feel even more confident the next time he needs to speak up not as he has now had practice and the outcome was positive.
Tell him he is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

...and laughing, I did the same, I was so focused on our sons ana allergies I hardly mentioned some of his env. allergies which also cause some symptoms. They came to me after and were like, um, did you want to quickly go over these (after I talked for 2 hours about the others). :lol:

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:00 am 

:huggy to you and your son. I'm so happy he was able to confront his teacher. Also :thumbsup to the teacher for reacting the way she did and confirming this with you. I know many people who do not understand or believe people can be allergic to scents. Just this summer I had a coworker refuse to stop spraying scented products around our room after telling her many times I was allergic.
This is one thing I would want a child to call me on when I am teaching. As a supply teacher I am often going into situations and not knowing the allergies/medical conditions of the students unless I seek out the info. The classroom I was in yesterday had a scensey (an electric scented candle system with no flame) I wasn't surprised to see it since many teachers have some scented thing in their class. But the kicker is this school is scent free! Maybe she only turns it on when the children are not there but I still think it shouldn't be in there.

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:23 am 
Site Admin

Wow! What a smart, brave boy! I'm so happy that the teacher and the school dealt quickly and positively on this. He will remember this in the future. :thumbsup :happydance

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb