You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:10 pm 

My daughter will be starting high school and not sure what we need to do to prepare.

Once she has her class schedule we will ask for an appointment with the appropriate administrator. I want to have an epi-pen kept at the school again.

I would like to speak with each of her teachers but don't know if that will be feasible. Thankfully one of her possible teachers is an acquaintance and may be able to provide some guidance.

Any ideas would be appreciated :thanksign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:54 pm 

My daughter graduated this year and I am now contacting security, health and wellness and food services staff at her university to find out what trainging and measures they have in place to deal with an allergic reaction.

If this is your first experience with this high school it may be helpful to first check the school website and/or handbook. There may be information about how and who you contact to make your medical concerns known.

I always took in my daughter's epipen which was stored in a medication area in the front office. One of thesecretaries was in charge of this and there were disctrict forms to fill out. I did this before school started if possible. The first week of school is bedlam in the office.

My daughter had a binder that had a zippered pocket which her epipen fit into nicely. She always had one with her as well as the one in the office.

Teachers can be contacted through school emails and voicemails. If cooking is a class, the teacher would certainly appreciate a headsup. Be prepared to offer support. The physical education teacher should also know about the allergies and where to find the epipen. It is harder to keep the epipen handy when they are doing dance or a field sport.

Hallowe'en was a bit of a challenge. With over two hundred students some teachers don't think about food allergies although we think it should be formost on their minds at all times. We generally had an open house or parent interviews before then. I mader a point of meeting each teacher and let them know about her allergy. They always were positive and reassuring.

Having a few close, trustworthy and responsible friends who will be advocates is reallyhelpful. We usually hosted parties and demonstrated in doing so what products we could use. This is also a time to find safe restaurants that are allergy aware so your teen can be a part of special events in a safe setting.
Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:31 pm 

Thank you for your info! I read everything on the website but couldn't find any info that I needed so when the school reopens we will call.

Where do students leave their epipen during P.E.? In her other school it was safe to leave in the change room but not at the high schools where multiple classes are in and out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:38 pm 

We teach all of her friends over and over. They don't mind cuz they love her and think it's really cool that they could save a life if need be. Everyone knows where it is and how to use it. We also make sure to tell them to call 911 first on a land line preferably and call me.

She also carries a trainer pen (in a hidden pocket in her purse, so they don't use it by mistake) and lets them practice.

I am always so impressed with how easy they learn without fear.

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:05 pm 

Her friends are great too. The new epi-pen case is great as you can read the instructions through the case. Good idea to give her friends a refresher --- I always tell them to call 911 if in doubt and that they will talk you through it - a paramedic was on the line within 30 seconds the time I had to call.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:04 pm 

Walooet, I would be interested to see what your school division policy/administrative guideline???? says.

Ours did not even have annual training, even though we are supposibly covered under the "safe and caring" part.
It took a year to get the change made, so if you need to, you might want to get at it.

I live in Alberta so we have a policy advisory so they don't have to make the change unless someone asks I think.

Michele

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

alberta advocate wrote:
Walooet, I would be interested to see what your school division policy/administrative guideline???? says.

Ours did not even have annual training, even though we are supposibly covered under the "safe and caring" part.
It took a year to get the change made, so if you need to, you might want to get at it.

I live in Alberta so we have a policy advisory so they don't have to make the change unless someone asks I think.

Michele

:frightened

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:30 pm 

the school secretary was incredibly helpful - spare epis are kept in her desk drawer.

I decided not to speak to each teacher so that she can do that herself. She does have P.E. so will have to talk with teacher.

Another local high school has their entire staff do first aid training the first day of school - they go over every special medical concern and do epi-pen training including a video. Hopefully my teen's school is similar.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:01 pm 

Walooet, I am even more interested to know what province you are in.

Michele

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:03 pm 

alberta advocate ~ we are in Manitoba. What part of my post(s) made you curious where we lived?

It's tough enough to see them head off to high school but with the allergies it has been a true lesson in learning to let go and trusting that we have taught her enough to look after herself.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:58 pm 

Well, I think a good place to start is asking the question "what is in place now?"

http://aaia.ca/en/ann-20081023-manitoba-law_en.pdf
Quote:
"This law will provide support for parents who are
involved with schools in planning for the safety of their children with lifethreatening
allergies.”

Being you are from Manitoba, the above will help no matter where you are in that particular province.

Also this, http://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/statutes/2008/c04608e.php
Quote:
Anaphylaxis policy

47.3 Each school board must develop an anaphylaxis policy to meet the needs of pupils who have diagnosed anaphylaxis. The policy must also meet any requirements prescribed by regulation under The Education Administration Act.

Walooet wrote
Quote:
Another local high school has their entire staff do first aid training the first day of school - they go over every special medical concern and do epi-pen training including a video. Hopefully my teen's school is similar.

Does every school in Manitoba have this?

What exactly does your school division policy say?

Michele

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:00 pm 

The Manitoba Law states that school divisions must have a policy - it doesn't however, provide the guidelines for what that policy looks like! I know River East Transcona has an excellent policy. It's published on their website and I referenced it here in previous posts but can't seem to locate it.
Here it is again - section JLCG, R1 and R2

http://www.retsd.mb.ca/site/about/policy/polmain.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:03 am 

There was already an incident at school which another parent dealt with and within 24 hours the Principal has talked with staff involved and is removing certain allergens from the vending machines :happydance :happydance :happydance The vending machine was not part of the incident but a bonus regardless!

I was relieved because I spoke with a different teacher yesterday and got the "this is high school, they have to look after themselves"...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:03 pm 

An update about high school - my daughter has been there for 1.5 years. We find that each classroom teacher is different and thankfully, there has only been one teacher who has not been supportive. I had to ask the Principal to email all of her teachers about eating food in the classroom because there were a few incidents - multiple ones with the same teacher who I spoke to directly. Next year I will ask the Principal to send the e-mail out just before classes resume.

My daughter is respectful of friends' allergies by not eating near them and they are respectful of her too --- there are no food bans at high school at all.

The nicest part of high school is that food is rarely handed out in the classrooms!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:05 pm 
Site Admin

I'm thinking about this as I draft a letter to request a meeting with the principal of dd's new school. As she enters grade 6 next year, it will be the year we work on skills that she will need to develop for grade 7 and (gulp) high school. :frightened
Quote:
Our daughter is currently attending -- and will be attending -- starting the school year 2013-2014. She has severe allergies (anaphylaxis) to multiple foods which include eggs, dairy, peanut, tree nuts and most legumes. All of these foods are equally capable of provoking an anphylaxis reaction. She also has asthma which increases her risk of any response developing into anaphylaxis.

We have enjoyed a good relationship with -- and have worked with them to ensure that her risk of exposure to allergens in minimal. We would like to meet with the principal of -- to discuss what challenges she will face in going to a larger, more mature school environment. We hope to be able to work towards an individual anaphylaxis plan and determine what areas she will need to develop in. We plan to work on these concepts and issues over the next year so that her transition to high school is as smooth and safe as possible.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb