Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

Oh no they didn't! :evil:

I just placed calls to the Ministry of Education, The Deputy Director of Education (oversees the Superintendents) and my Trustee! :verymad

I told the first two that as per the Education Officer at the Ministry of Education (he's not in today), my daughter's school principal as a BOLD FACED LIAR! Her lack of professionalism and disregard for, indeed her flagrant violation of our current legislation has placed my child at risk AND I WANT HER SCHOOL CHANGED!

I have a profound respect for any parent who has had to deal with a school that refused to accommodate their child's school.

I will post more later. I'll just say, the kids are great! The teachers try, but they take direction from the principal and her support staff.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:25 pm 

I wonder if this could be a legal issue?

Good for you for taking measures to ensure your daughters safety. Please fill us in when you can.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:01 pm 

OH MY!
SO sorry to hear about this Susan and I hope that things get addressed quickly!
Hugs especially to your daughter as you guys navigate this challenge!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

New school tomorrow. I don't expect it to be perfect, but I expect to be treated with respect. Dd is a bit confused because i have hidden a lot of this from her. Her best friend goes to this school and they'll be together at lunch! :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

Susan, I'm so sorry to hear from you about the trials of beginning middle school with your daughter's allergies. For the short-term, I'm glad your daughter will be safe and happily placed with a good friend.

But the longer term implications are disturbing. I'm glad to see you're addressing this with the Ministry of Ed. Ontario has Sabrina's Law and it needs to be followed.

I'd also contact your MPP (if he/she is a good one). Politicians can get through ministry red tape quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:55 am 

I hope she does ok at the new school Susan. Keep us posted. Did I miss a thread? I'm just totally confused. . .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

She's really enjoying the new school! The entire class is friendly and some of the boys are asking her for hugs! She simply declines.
Her best friend goes to this school and they enjoy lunch together.
My husband and I will meet with the VP tomorrow to create her individual anaphylaxis plan and this is the same VP that I spoke to 5 years ago when I arranged for our local support groups first annual Halloween Party! I remember that he has a good way with kids so I'm very optimistic.
We need to make some changes to the laws though. Teaching teachers where and how to use the auto injector is simply not enough.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:17 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
We need to make some changes to the laws though. Teaching teachers where and how to use the auto injector is simply not enough.

:goodidea If you gave teachers a quiz on Anaphylaxis and recognizing symptoms and how to be inclusive of students with food allergies I doubt many teachers would pass.

I am very sorry to hear of the difficulties your daughter had but am glad you dealt with it and switched to a better environment. Your daughter certainly knows that you have her back!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:26 am 
Site Admin

Ugh, they, too will be offering pizza for sale to the students on their way home! If they sold it at lunch, they could contain the allergens. This way they're eating it through out the school.
Apparently the pizza is OK because it fits within the requirements of the trans fats and sodium levels. :roll: