You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:59 pm 
Site Admin

So our school principal called and told my husband that a grade 4 class and a grade 1 class will receive Kindersurprises as an award for raising the most $ at a recent school fund raiser.
My thoughts:
Here we go again with the junk food!
So much for Lent - I hope no one gave up chcoate (catholic scho)
This is a good reason to never contribute to fundraisers (I don't want our daughter to feel left out)

What would be good alternatives to candy/junk food/ pizza lunches as awards for fundraisers? As our daughter is in JK, I don't expect her class will win an award soon but I'd like to think that this will be a thing of the past once she's old enough to be invoved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:26 pm 

A few ideas that come to mind:

- a special movie for the class
- winning class gets to play the teachers in a special game of basketball/soccer - kids always like to challenge the teachers
- teacher of the winning class has to kiss a goat/dye their hair/ or some other less humiliating act - this always motivates students also
- gift certificates for local department store / mall
- movie passes for local theatre
- special award certificates
- trophy for the winning class which is held by the class until the next fundraiser
- afternoon of bowling / skating for the winning class (loss of instructional time can be justified because the kids are physically active and/or learning a new sport)
- class gets to wear baseball caps for the day inside the school
- books or magazines (Scholastic sells sets of books for specific grades for about a dollar a book)

Hope some of these might be helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:31 am 
Site Admin

Thanks!!
I knew this was the place to go with that question :)

Post subject: sleeping on the roof
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:34 pm 

Our school had the prinicipal and vice principal sleep in a tent on the roof

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:03 pm 

My Children attend a catholic school and I was extremely fed up with all the fundraisers.
Most of the time you had to sell a product for a company and only a small percentage of the money made would go to the school. I approached the Parent Education Committee and asked to do away with the fundraising in exchange they charge each family $150 as a fundraising fee and all the money goes directly to the school and we do not need to bother family, neighbours etc. to purchase items that they do not need. I find this so much more cost efficient I was spending much more than $150. a year for junk.

We have done a church garage sale where everyone donated items that they no longer wanted or needed. Everything purchased was by donation. (we did not but a $ amount on anything.) We raised over $2000.00 and we sent the money to help orphaned children in Sri Lanka. We had a parishioner go directly there and we saw pictures of the children with smiles on their faces. I feel that is a reward !!!!!!