You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Easter
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:51 pm 

This is a new one for me that didn't even register on my radar...Easter!! So my wee man age 4 in JK, allergic to eggs, and nuts, and shellfish, brought home a note asking for hard boiled eggs to decorate in class. I get that he needs to eat them to have a reaction, but I try (for obvious reasons) to not allow him to handle eggs. Not that it has ever been an issue, since when does one give a 4yr old an egg? So, decorating styrofoam would really not work well, plastic eggs won't work - where can I find wooden eggs? Do plastic gloves come small enough for 4yr olds? And should I really allow him to be part of this activity? Opinions? :?: Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:56 pm 

I have had my daughter decorate plastic eggs with stickers. As a kindergarten teacher, I can't imagine why a teacher would want to go through the hastle of decorating real eggs - the mess, the set up etc. My students painted paper eggs and created a nice decoration to take home. I will have to check to see what my daughter's teacher has planned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:12 pm 

Hi Buzimom_2000 -

We have decorated eggs at home in the past, although it took me a few years to be brave enough to do it. We used hard-boiled eggs and the kids washed their hands thoroughly afterwards. And were old enough to not be putting their hands in their mouths.

Having said that, I think a classroom full of kids with that much egg around is too much. The risk is not being reduced in this case -- it is being increased.

The new national anaphylaxis guidelines suggest using alternatives to eggs when there are egg-allergic children in the class (as a risk-reduction strategy).

Quote:
Strategies to reduce the risk of egg

Ask children to enjoy eggs and egg salad sandwiches at home.

Seat children with egg allergy away from those who bring eggs for lunch or snack (e.g. hard boiled, egg salad sandwiches) or whose food may contain eggs (e.g. mayonnaise).

Avoid egg in cooking classes or craft activities. (This includes egg shells and egg whites and yolks, either cooked or raw.)

Select special activities that do not involve the use of real eggs (e.g. use plastic or wooden eggs for crafts or Easter egg hunts).

Reference: http://www.allergysafecommunities.ca/default.asp?catid=19&catsubid=35

Couldn't they decorate a flat paper egg?? Those could be posted on the walls and you can actually use more textual things like feathers and foam to decorate them...

Hope this helps.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:54 pm 

my daughter is allergic ot eggs and I am pretty sure she would react to the shell...also one might get cracked open and cause a contact reaction. More severe if a child were to put a hand in their mouth.

Personally, I kind of feel that the teacher should have consulted with the parents of the egg allergic child here first, before any notes were sent home...what's next walnut shell boats for the nut allergic?

There are lots of easter alternatives. We have put stickers on the plastic ones, their are numerous ways to cut one out of paper and decorate, or bunny, chick or easter basket crafts without the need to decorate real eggs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:15 am 
Site Admin

I'm shoxked that so soon after Sabrina's Law came into effect in Ontario your school is already bringing known allergens into the class room.
At our school we have 6 students in my daughters class with various food alergies. We have a parent support group that meets 4-6 times through out the school year. We try to find out ahead of time what lessons plans might be used that invove food items (they usually revolve around the seasons/holidays) we then try to problem solve to come up with ideas that are safe for our children but still reinforce what is trying to be taught.
ast year our dazughter and I took styrofoam eggs and cvered them with bits of torn up tissue paper. We used a mixture of one part white glue and one part water to decoupage it on. The result was very impressive for such little work.
Perhaps your class could try soemthing like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:55 pm 

The eggs just seem like a bad idea!!

Post subject: Easter
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:16 pm 

Thank you all for your support and advice. I did find wooden eggs at a local Michael's craft store. My mother offered to take my wee man for a day and decorate them, but as it turns out, he has had a bit of a cold and could not go there. So I took a day off work and we had a nice mommy/son day. I did call the school earlier in the week to ask when the activity was to take place, and let the teacher know that he would not be participating. The teacher did call me back, very apologetic about not even realizing the activity would put him at risk. I guess next year she will read the poster more carefully.

Again, thank you for your comments.

Happy Easter!