You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:13 am 

My sesame reactions typically haven't been bad. I don't avoid eating bakery bread (I just avoid eating bread with sesame or other seeds on it).

But an experience I had recently at a hotel in Baltimore--the Waterfront Marriott--may change that. I had had two drinks, which primed my system for a worse reaction. And I ate about 5 pretzels. Well, as it turns out (I later learned), they were contained sesame flour. There were no sesame seeds on the pretzels--not even any salt. Just the way I like them.

The staff did a fantastic job tracking down the ingredients after I had a reaction--and the hotel staff did a great job the entire week with my shellfish allergy (and then my sesame allergy)--even considering I was with a very large group. They served me individually cooked meals among dinners of 900 people.

But I'll never again eat a pretzel or anything else like that I haven't read the ingredients of.

Funny thing is--my first bite of the pretzel tasted funny to me, but it tasted like shrimp to me. And I thought, surely not. So I had a few more. But it was sesame flour. Ugh.