You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Bread
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:53 pm 

I went through the original sesame seed thread, and copied out a bit of information about breads. These companies have SOME safe bread products. Always read labels though, as product lines often change.

Dempster's - some bread and flat bread

Dimpflmeier Bakery - 22 Advance Road, Toronto 416-239-3031 This company has quite a variety of safe breads, including rye and other dark breads.

I hope nobody minds that I copied their information without posting who originally posted about it. Most of these I found out about from others on this board. Thank you all.

Also, I've only copied information about companies in Toronto because I have no idea if companies in other provinces are still safe, and I didn't want to post out-of-date information.

------------
8 Jan 2007: Edited by Karen the Moderator. I removed "Weston English muffins" from AM's list, as they now contain a "may contain sesame" warning.

Post subject: Bread machines!!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:28 am 

Just wanted to post a thought, and maybe it has already been discussed, but I love my bread machine!! I have made several great breads which is nice because I can never have fresh bakery breads. I even made the dough to make my own focaccia (sp?) bread. It is nice to indulge and not have to worry about ingredients.

Soccermom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:54 am 

Weston's English Muffin are not longer safe. Grrr. I went to buy some last week and there was a May Contain Traces of Nuts and Sesame Seeds. I am not happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:22 pm 

youngvader, I'm so sorry to hear that. :cry: I don't regularly buy them, but I'll try to check if they are still safe here or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:39 am 

The Pom ones are safe. I'm use to that happening on me, AnnaMarie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:42 pm 

Thanks, youngvader, for letting us know about the Weston English muffins. I have been buying them once in awhile, so it's disappointing to lose out on another bread product :( One of the only "bread" type products I've been buying lately are tortillas - they don't work very well as a hamburger bun :? Other than that, our breadmaker runs almost everyday - we're sure thankful to have it. But it's nice to buy the odd special bread product once in awhile - it just seems like there are fewer and fewer choices for the sesame-allergic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:28 pm 

No Name White English Muffins (the small pack) are safe. Or at least they were when I went shopping 4 weeks ago and called PC/Loblaws at the store. Although it bugs me that PC/Loblaws labelling is all over the map. They sometimes label for an allergen or a "may contain" but not always, depends on the product.

Post subject: sesame-free bread
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:13 am 

I'm Lisa and new here. My son is allergic to dairy, eggs, peanuts, treenuts and sesame. I looked for 2 years before I found New Berlin Bakery which carries sesame-free bread. They do not have any of my son's allergens in their factory according to them. I think they do have some things with sunflower seeds, though, maybe. You should contact them yourselves. It seems most of you are in Canada. I'm in Connecticut, USA. I don't know if New Berlin Bakery sells their stuff in Canada or not.

Also, Enjoy Life's rice bread is free of sesame X-contam. They also have bagels as well.

:)

Nice to "meet" other sesame people who avoid X contam like we do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:11 am 

Hi Lisa, I just want to share a warning I discovered in the past. If you find a company that has safe bread - it does not necessarily mean it is safe in a different city. If you go on vacation and find New Berlin Bakery breads, call to make sure it is safe in that area. Breads are usually sold locally (unless they are frozen) and so a company will have plants in different cities - and they don't always have all the same stuff in one plant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:04 pm 

Thank you! That is a good tip. I'm pretty sure New Berlin Bread is safe for my son all around because I called and spoke with them and they didn't ask me where I am from or anything.

I did get that with I think Roman Meal or some other brand we used to use in Seattle. It is not sold locally but it is in the next state and also sold by internet. There is one plant that makes some that is supposed to be safe for my son but the others aren't. I am pretty sure they are sesame-free totally but some places have milk in their product and some don't. so we don't use it. Wish I could remember if it was for sure Roman Meal bread. I *think* it was them. In any case, we can't get the safe version here in Connecticut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:25 pm 

Hi, everyone!

I eat Pom bread (a Canadian bread), produced by Multimarques. But it's important to read the label every single time you buy the bread. They have some factories or lines that produce the same breads containing sesame (e.g., the SmartBread) and others that are free of sesame.

I really don't mind this, because they have been very responsive to allergen inquiries. The bread does contain some dairy and soy, however, for those dealing with dairy and/or soy allergies.

Best,

Andrea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:03 pm 

It might only be available in Quebec, but Bridor Mini-Baguettes (found in the frozen section in a box of eighteen) are safe. They are made in a dedicated facility that is free of peanuts, nuts, sesame seeds, dairy, eggs. They are awesome - and have become a staple in our household.

They used to be in many Costco stores in Western Quebec and Eastern Ontario, but recently were replaced by Ace Bakery products (which really aren't safe). But I contacted the man in charge of the area and he agreed to reinstate them in the Gatineau Costco (bless him).

I have also heard that that they're available at Sam's Club...

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:18 am 

mygirlsyd, I had told my husband about the Wonder HotDog buns, and he found them this weekend (at Longo's). So, for the first time in ages I had a b-b-q hotdog. I couldn't even remember what toppings I like on them. :oops:

If he can find them regularly we will throw away our *cutie toppings*. That's what he calls the extra ketchup, mustard, etc., that is kept separate from my safe toppings. With kids, the bottles could touch the buns, so we eliminate that risk to me by having *cutie bottles* for them to use. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:45 pm 

That's great AnnaMarie! I've been finding them pretty regularly at Loblaws as well, at least when they're not sold out of them. Still no sign of safe hamburger buns though. I've made buns for hamburgers but they're pretty heavy compared to store bought.

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:05 pm 

My hamburger buns are edible. My hotdog buns are not. Although, even my hamburger buns are not as good as store bought.

If you would like, I will post my recipe for hamburger buns. Mine were terrible, until someone posted a better recipe (with an egg in it - that seems to be the difference).