You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:17 pm 

Hi,
Does anyone have any information regarding cross-reactivity & seed allergies? I was reading that there is cross-reactivity between sesame & nut allergies. What about cross-reactivity between different seeds? My son is allergic to sesame, sunflower & is to challenge mustard. He also has numerous other allergies. Any information would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Brenda

DD 4 YRS (asthma)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:55 am 
Site Admin

I don't know about a cross reactivity (maybe someone else will post) but I would be concerned about contamination on production lines.

It might be difficult to find a seed that isn't produced on a line that is also used for nuts and vice versa.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:20 pm 

We are also dealing with multiple peanut/nut/seed allergies. Our son is going to be challenged with sunflower seed next week, but is still positive for sesame and mustard. I would also be interested in any responses.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:21 pm 

One other thing... I remember reading on this chatline that "Spitz" sunflower seeds are not processed in the same plant as nuts. The link can probably be found under "other allergies" followed by "sunflower seeds" (this is just my best guess).

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:00 am 

Spitz in the shell, and recently also shelled ones, are safe for people with peanut and sesame seed allergies. The candy-coated ones are not safe and carry a warning.

Last I checked, all flavours are safe for these two allergies -- but personally, I just like the plain salted ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:59 pm 

AnnaMarie wrote:
Spitz in the shell, and recently also shelled ones, are safe for people with peanut and sesame seed allergies.

AnnaMarie -- are you saying that Spitz now manufactures plain shelled sunflower seeds???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:48 am 

Thanks Anna Marie! Just curious... where have you found the shelled Spitz? That would be handy for salads!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:42 pm 

ethansmom wrote:
AnnaMarie wrote:
Spitz in the shell, and recently also shelled ones, are safe for people with peanut and sesame seed allergies.

AnnaMarie -- are you saying that Spitz now manufactures plain shelled sunflower seeds???

YES! And no peanuts/nuts in the facillity. Isn't that great? I plan to use them in baking, but so far, um, I can't. I open them and I eat the entire bag.

I've been buying them at a little variety store -- I don't even know the name of it, we just call it "the friendly lady store". :lol:

I know Dominion does sell some Spitz products, so you could ask there. Walmart was selling some, but I haven't checked lately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:45 am 

On another forum, someone in Ontario said they found the shelled sunflower seeds at A&P and Walmart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:06 pm 

Thanks! I'll look for them. Our son is having a sunflower oral challenge next week, so the shelled ones would be handy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:00 am 

Thanks so much AnnaMarie!
There's a salad recipe that I've missed making -- and I love the baking possibilities too!
Can't wait to find them... :D