Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: pumpkin seeds?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:34 pm 

Hi,
Our son is allergic to peanuts, eggs and sesame seeds. His class if having a "pumpkin theme" day at the end of the month and the teacher will be roasting the pumpkin seeds for the class to eat. I have a strict "only eat what's from home' policy at school with our son(he's 4) but I'm curious if anyone has pumpkin seed allergies and if our son is allergic to sesame seeds is it probable that he'll be allergic to other seeds?

Post subject: pumpkin seeds?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:25 am 

Hi Allergy Mom, I've been wondering about the same thing. We try and make sure all food in our house is allergen safe due to our son's trace reactions alone. I have not only been wondering about pumpkin seeds but sunflower seeds as well.

BC2007

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:25 am 

I'm allergic to peanuts and sesame seeds -- definitely anaphylactic to sesame.

I eat pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds. I roast the seeds when we carve a pumpkin, and for sunflower seeds I buy Spitz. Some other brands have may contain warnings -- so check the labels and call if you are not sure.

Post subject: pumpkin seeds
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:43 am 

Thanks so much. I think I may carve a pumpkin this weekend with our son and roast some seeds and have him try them here at home. The feeling of wondering what will be allergic is the worst with trying new foods! Wish us luck and thanks for your advice.
Take care,
Allergy Mom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:06 pm 

I agree -- trying it at home is always best. In fact, for myself, I usually want the first 2 times at home.

Good luck, hope you enjoy the carving, and that ds enjoys eating them. (add lots of salt, lol)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:15 pm 
Site Admin

They're tasty, and allergies to them are supposed to be rare (which doesn't mean they can't happen but better odds at least than with sesame).

From About.com's Nutrition pages:

Quote:
Pumpkin seeds are a great source of omega-3 essential fatty acids and protein so they make a great snack.
You can purchase pumpkin seeds or roast your own at home in your oven. Soak cleaned pumpkin seeds in salt-water over night then spread them on a baking sheet. Put the pumpkin seeds in the oven at 275 degrees until they turn a golden brown.

http://nutrition.about.com/od/nutrition ... dnt328.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:53 am 

Sounds like a fun activity as well as a great snack. I'm impressed with how healthy they really are for you.
Queston: Is the salt water enough to season them or do I need to season them once baking?

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:07 pm 

I've never soaked them in salt water. I like baking them with a coarse salt (not just table salt) so that I can then suck all the salt off them. (One day, I just might grow-up. But don't hold your breath.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

:lol:

I, uh, have been known to swirl my Chapman's ice cream until it's DQ-like.
Very mature.

But back to the pmkin seeds: don't think I'd bother about the soaking either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:58 pm 

NOW I know why I haven't been enjoying my ice-cream as much lately. It's one of the smoothest ice-creams I've ever tasted -- but I've been forgetting to cream it. :lol: (fortunately there is some in the fridge)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:50 am 
Site Admin

Saskmommyof3's ice cream recipe that uses nutriwhip comes out of my ice cream maker with the taste and concistency of DQ's soft ice cream!
Yum :)

1 cup soy milk
2 egg replacements
½ cup sugar
1 1/4 cups Nutriwhip
2 tsp vanilla

In a saucepan, combine egg replacement and sugar. Add soy milk and cook over medium heat until mixture thickens slightly; cool. Blend in Nutriwhip and vanilla. Chill several hours or overnight. Follow ice cream makers directions to freeze "ice cream" or simply pour into a container and freeze, stirring occasionally, while freezing so mixture does not become too hard.

Variations: To make chocolate chip " ice cream", add 1/3 cup chocolate chips to the mixture as it begins to freeze.
You can also add various flavors of Nestles Quik, or just about anything you can come up with, that you are not allergic too.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:38 pm 

Hi - a late post as I just stumbled onto this thread and website while looking for an answer to my own question. At roughly the same time I developed mild anaphylactic reactions to pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and brazil nuts. Could be entirely coincidental of course. I have no known allergies to other tree nuts, ground nuts or seeds, including sesame seeds. No apparent reactions to pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie, sunflower oil. (Unrelated allergies to fish, shellfish, some pollens). I was trying to figure out if there's any close biological relationship among brazil nuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:52 pm 
Site Admin

theschanks-Hmmm, I wonder if there was a possibiltiy of cross contamination. It seems odd that you would have an allergy to the seeds but not to the pumpkin itself.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb