You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Vegetable Oil
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:45 pm 

Does anyone know if all vegetable oil contains sesame seed?
My son (21 months) was just diagnosed with allergies to peanuts and sesame seed. I am finding the sesame seed one really hard to grasp....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:52 am 

Oh, I didn't realize that vegetable oil contains sesame seeds.... I mean other than sesame oil.

My daughter is allergic to sesame seeds and she has never reacted to any sort of oil... we use vegetable oil, canola oil, olive oil at home and she's eaten french fries at restaurants (presumably cooked in vegetable oil).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:04 pm 

I use regular veg. cooking oil for our son's baking and have never had a problem. Bread and crackers, now there is a hard one to work around.
Watch out for spices too as many brands process their spices and sesame seeds together. I buy Sobey's (same as IGA) brand spices and have confirmed they do not process sesame seeds in the same facility. Here' a few of the items I've found without sesame.

For bread

Dempster's Soft Slice (read each time as it can be safe and then not safe - the Hamilton plant has sesame but the Laval plant is sesame free).
Dempster's Tortilla shells
Dimpflmeier Rye bread (buy at Sobey's and Costo)

For crackers

Jacob's Cream Crackers (I buy them at Sobey's, I've seen them on the London Drugs website also)
Paris Toasts (usually found around the deli somewhere)
Ritz crackers
Triscuit Crackers
Christie Soda crackers
Fish crackers

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:35 pm 

Thanks for the information, it is very helpful.
The reason I was asking about vegetable oil is because if you look at the Canadian Food Inspection Agency's pamphlet on Sesame seeds: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fss ... sese.shtml[/url]
It lists the following:
Other names for sesame seeds
Benne/benne seed/benniseed
Gingelly/gingelly oil
Seeds
Sesamol/sesamolina
Sesamum indicum
Sim sim
Tahina
Tahini
Til
Vegetable oil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:09 am 

I think in Canada they have to include sesame on the label if it's one of the oils used. (Sorry, I'm exhausted this week and can't remember where it was written on the CFIA web site.

fyi -- when I called previously, all Dimpflemeier breads were safe to peanut/nut/sesame allergies. I haven't called in quite a while, but I do still check the labels and haven't seen any of those allergens on any.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:55 am 

We don't have Sobey's in Vancouver so I am going to check out Costco today for Dimpflemeier Bread. Hopefully they will have it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:37 pm 

I think we get Dipflemiers at Loblows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:42 pm 

Joanna, IGA is the same parent company as Sobey's, try there if your Costco doesn't carry the bread.
Loblows is also from the parent company of Superstore, try there too.

The good news is that sesame HAS to be labelled if used in any Canadian Food.

What I find hard with sesame is hummus. Our son is not only anaphylactic to chick peas but sesame also...which is called tahini - used to make hummus. It is very popular for kids now to eat hummus. Although our son's play center tries to be peanut/tree nut free kids eat hummus there all the time. :shock: They do their best to have kids wash before and after eating but I did have to use the epipen there last week due to some sort of trace reaction. Must have been hummus or someone ate peanut butter before coming and then touched toys. Either way, be aware that hummus contains sesame. Sesame oil is also HUGE in Asian cooking as well as sesame seeds.

oh, and get a new toaster for your home if you have used yours for sesame (the ones with loose sesame seeds on the top) bagels/bread etc.. If you shake it I bet sesame seeds fall out, mine did. !!!! For when you are out and need to make toast safely there are toaster bags you can buy.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish