You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:41 pm 

Wow - re-reading this post is a blast from the past!

I have never found a scientifically definitive connection between sesame allergy and bandaids/plasters however I somehow had put this to the back of my brain. It is interesting as DD has had a few cases where bandaids have caused very strong skin reactions (I should post a photo as we have taken some but I do not have her permission) to adhesives.

We have been in the habit of never using the ones at labs/doctor's offices and the school has a package of ones that have been tolerated in case they are needed at school.

We have also had once incident, on the heels of a food-triggered anaphylactic episode where she had blood work done (in Canada) and went into anaphylactic shock in the lab (no food had been consumed, the lab technicians had only drawn blood, with gloved hands etc). As I had my son there too that day - I hadn't been with her to reinforce not to have the bandaid applied. They used that tape and a cotton ball.

After the reaction stabilised, the ER team noticed the tape and removed it - she had giant welts, local swelling for several inches of the surrounding area.

So... as I reflect, I realise we have learned to react calmly to situations (no epipen hesitation), ensure we get to a hospital for appropriate care/intervention & monitoring and no longer lose sleep over trying to understand every hive.

From a mom perspective, I think if I reliably coach prevention (eg read labels - when you buy, when you shelve, when you consume), risk reduction (eg always carry your epis, if you haven't prepared it, don't be afraid to ask) and response (administer, call 911), then we are at least establishing the foundations (ABC, 1+1=2) which hopefully will help both kids as they grow.

I remember being positively terrified after our first experience (and the second and..) and not being able to really see the way through. I can vividly recall how terrifying social events were and just how many epipens and benadryl has been administered as we tried to balance everything. It is very empowering to be able to re-read these posts and everyone else's and recognise that it is a journey that is both a sicence and an art.

Thank you for your supportive responses and open dialogue. I truly don't know how we would have arrived at this point where we are without this forum and the brave front-runners who helped make our path much easier!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:47 pm 
Site Admin

:huggy
Sometimes we need to see where we came from, to see how far we've come.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb