You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:16 pm 

Well, it was a good thing but it looks like it has come to an end. As we all have found the Engish muffins, thin bagels, tortillas and soft slice have no sesame warning IF from the Laval plant which until now was sesame free. Today at Sobeys all the soft slice even from Laval (expiry ticket starts with LA) has a sesame warning.
I called Dempsters and it does look like a sesame products have been added to the plant. I asked if this will also affect the english muffins/tortillas and thin bagels....it looks like yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banghead

Oh, and Ryvita has added as sesame warning to all varieties of their crackers now. :|

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:35 pm 

That's awful!! I'm so sorry. Maybe if there is a letter writing campaign they will rethink?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:27 pm 

Just letting the sesame-allergic group know that I have still been able to purchase Dempsters English muffins/thin bagels/Oven-Fresh white dinner rolls. There is still no sesame warning, but, believe me, I'm checking the label every time!!!! I just called Dempsters, and I advised the person I spoke with that those dealing with sesame allergy are well aware of the "safe" Dempsters products and we appreciate the availability of these products. I let her know that Dempsters receives a fair bit of "air time" on our very well moderated chat group, and the need for sesame free bread products exist with a growing number of Canadians dealing with sesame allergy. I'm not sure that I made much of an impact with this particular customer service rep, however, conversations are recorded, and she said she will pass this information along. According to her, she had not heard about sesame being introduced at all plants; rather, it is important to read the label every single time as the bread products can come from any one of three facilities. Apparently another facility is being built somewhere in Ontario (she wouldn't tell me where). So, I feel a mixture of frustration, but also hope that sesame-free products will still be available through Dempsters. I'm frustrated with the conflicting information. Believe me, I will be carefully scrutinizing the label every time. But for now, I'm happy to still find some safe products - I wonder if it will last, or how well informed the person was that I was speaking with????

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses