You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:59 pm 

http://udisglutenfree.com/products/Buns

My husband just came home from Sobeys AND saw this brand of hamburber, hot dog buns, muffins and pizza crust all labelled as made in a a peanut/tree nut safe facility. They do have granola with nuts but they must be made elsewhere as only the bread products list 'made in a pn/tn free facility'.
They do label for all may contains and there isn't anything for sesame listed. Could it be, hold our breaths all together now that they are in fact sesame safe????? I'll contact them Monday and check (didn't buy them yet) to ensure they are sesame safe.

The pizza crust DOES have legume flour in it so I also for DS need to ensure no legume flour could cross contamination with other bread products.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Last edited by BC2007 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:04 pm 

I'll be eagerly awaiting your answer from the company... My son has PN, TN, sesame, chick pea and lentil allergies. I was just about to try to figure out how to make hot dog buns in my bread machine! I also just posted a question re: quaker chewy PN free granola bars. You don't happen to know if they are safe do you?

Thanks,

Heather

DS, 4, allergic to PN, TN, sesame, chick pea and lentil, EA, dog, cat, asthma
DS, 16 mo, former multiple food intolerances, asthma

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:43 pm 

Hi Heathermum, the Quaker pn free logo bars our son eats with no issues .

I'll post as soon as I hear from this company. :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:46 pm 

If it is good news, you will be :happydance !!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:29 pm 

I could cry. FINALLY sesame safe bun...but not safe from peas, really, what are the chances.

I could cry. It does look like the buns are sesame safe BUT NOT pea safe.

Quote:
Thank you so much for your interest and support in Udi’s Gluten Free Foods. Our products are made in a completely nut free facility. One of our bakeries produces granolas, which contain nuts, but this is made in an entirely separate facility from the rest of our baked goods. The only other product made in the same bakery are our cookies, which are produced on separate machinery.

Some of our products, such as our bread, will contain pea protein. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee separate baking facilities or baking equipment of our bread products from the rest of our baked goods. I am double checking with our bakery, but sesame is not used in any of our products and should therefore not be an allergen issue. I am confirming whether any of our suppliers would have sesame in their facility as well. I am sorry we could not accommodate the pea allergy at this time, but I will certainly forward along your request to our bakery. If you have any other questions please let me know.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:00 pm 

How disappointing! I just emailed them myself b/c my son can eat green/yellow/brown peas but not chick peas or lentils. Don't know if they'll be able to get that specific for me but thought I'd try! Sorry it won't work for you. I'll probably be in the same boat.

Has anyone tried to make hot dog buns in a bread machine? I make 2-3 loaves a week of regular kinds of bread but have never tried to do buns.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:58 pm 

After much trial and error as to hot dog bun size (to the amusement of my family) I have finally figure out how to make exact size hot dog buns. I use a 'brownie pan' I think that is 11x7 (I think). If you make seven long dough snakes to barely touch (thicker than a thick crayola felt pen) before rising then once risen you have perfect hot dog buns.

Hope the pea thing works for you...if not, I guess we are no worse off than we are right now. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:17 pm 

I'm laughing as my family has suffered through lots of trial and error on my part too! What recipe did you use, plain white bread?

I heard back from Udi's and they say the pea flour is green pea so my son should have no trouble with it but she is still checking with suppliers about some of the ingredients regarding the sesame. Keeping my fingers crossed and probably going ahead if I don't hear from her soon.

I think I'll be investing in a brownie pan either way though!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:29 am 

When I don't feel like baking hot dog buns, I will use Dempsters Oven Fresh Baguettes and slice them into 2 (or 3) - depending on the size of the hot dog. You could also use the Oven Fresh Buns (Rolls).

http://www.dempsters.ca/en/Products/Spe ... ettes.aspx

Ingredients:Enriched wheat flour, water, vegetable oil (canola or soybean), salt, sugar/glucose-fructose, yeast*, guar gum, acetylated tartaric acid esters of mono and diglycerides, dextrose, malted barley flour, natural and artificial flavours, modified wheat starch. *order may change. [I808]

Only the white ones are safe for the sesame allergic... the multi-grain and rosemary with olive oil are "may contain sesame".

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:44 am 
Site Admin

Use a white bread dough recipe. I like to use brown sugar instead of white, it gives a nicer texture...I don't know how.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:52 am 

heathermum wrote:

Has anyone tried to make hot dog buns in a bread machine? I make 2-3 loaves a week of regular kinds of bread but have never tried to do buns.

I use a french stick recipe. Instead of breaking into two pieces and rolling out, I do four, six, or eight, depending on what I'm using it for, and what size hotdogs we have.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:06 pm 

Just an update to say we've tried Udi's bagels and the hamburger buns with great success!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:30 pm 

Glad they worked out for your family? :thumbsup